Caramel Rolo Rice Krispie Treats
Caramel Rolo Rice Krispie Treats are outrageously delicious, unforgettable, and an over-the-top twist on a childhood classic!
A decadent upgrade from the classic Rice Crispy Treats Recipe, this no-bake recipe is easy to make and even easier to devour.
Why You Must Make
- If you’re a fan of Rolos or just caramel in general, these Krispie Treats will become a new favorite.
- I am not a huge fan of marshmallows, so if you’ve never had Rice Krispie Treats and don’t like marshmallows, give them a chance. At our house, I’m the only naysayer. The hubby, of course he loves them. Our kids? You bet! The dog? One of her favorite treats! But I DO love Rice Krispie Treats…and so do my kids.
- These are super easy, no-bake treats. And not that they’re anything close to healthy, at least the cereal is fortified with vitamins and minerals, so a Rice Krispie Treat is not the worst confection to pack in a lunch box.
And while we’re at it, why not make them super special???? Add some caramel sauce, then some chopped candy. Now we’re talkin’. That first week back to school is stressful for parents and kids, so why not offer something extra special like these Caramel Rolo Rice Krispie Treats to share the love.
- Kitchen Staples – Butter
- Rice Krispies – This recipe uses 6 cups of cereal.
- Caramel or Butterscotch Sauce – Use the best brand you can find. Look for butter and cream in the ingredients.
- Rolos – Chocolate Coated Caramels. You will need to freeze and cut each in half.
- Marshmallows – You will need 40 large marshmallows.
How to Make
- Melt the marshmallows and butter. Add the caramel sauce.
- Mix until combined.
- Combine the Rice Krispies and Rolos.
- Mix in the marshmallow mixture, pat into prepared pan, let cool, then cut and dig in!
- PRO-Tip: Use fresh marshmallows so they will melt perfectly.
- Gently melt the butter first, and then add the marshmallows, either on the stovetop over medium-low heat or in the microwave. In the microwave, use 30-second increments, stirring each time you reset the time. Stir frequently on the stove as well.
- PRO-Tip: Freeze any chocolate add-ins so they don’t melt when stirring them into the warm Krispie treat mixture.
- Make sure you grease your pan well or line it with non-stick foil to prevent sticking.
- Use a smaller pan for even thicker RKTs.
- PRO-Tip: Grease your hands or use a square of wax paper to help you pat the Rice Krispie mixture into the pan.
- Add extra marshmallows if you want an extra soft, gooey result.
- Chill for about 30 minutes before cutting. Use a sharp knife for the best results, and heating the knife under hot running water is also helpful. Just dry the knife thoroughly before slicing.
Nick was invited to a friend’s lake house for the weekend, so I knew I needed to send him with a few goodies as these college boys have voracious appetites. I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, then eyed the mega box of Rice Krispies I had in the pantry.
I had some leftover caramel sauce in the fridge, plus a bag of mini Rolos. I had a plan. Nick came back tired and sunburnt but did report that these caramelly treats drew much praise from the boys. They are a wee bit sticky, but one of these bars placed in a baggie or wrapped in plastic wrap would be the perfect lunch box treat.
Frequently Asked Questions
If the butter and marshmallows are overheated, the Rice Krispie treats may turn out hard. Make sure to melt the butter first, then add the marshmallows and melt over low heat.
Rubbery results can be caused by too much butter or using margarine instead of butter.
If your marshmallows are old, dry, or dehydrated, they won’t melt well. Make sure your bag of marshmallows is soft and fresh.
Make sure your pan is well greased or lined with non-stick foil so they don’t stick. You can also butter your hands and the rubber spatula used to stir, so the sticky treats don’t stick.
You can also use a square of wax paper to place over the Krispies mixture after it’s scraped into the prepared pan. Then use your hands to press down and spread the mixture evenly without getting sticky.
Let them cool at room temperature for about an hour before cutting. Use a sharp knife to make the cleanest slices.
Keep them covered tightly at room temperature for 2 days for the best results. But they will still be delicious for up to a week. Rice Krispie Treats can also be frozen, if wrapped well, for up to 6 weeks.
You May Also Like:
If you love Rice Krispie treats, check out these recipes:
- Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats
- Cream Caramels will give you your caramel fix!
- Butterfinger Rice Krispie Treats
- All my Best Dessert Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 40 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 8-ounce bag mini Rolos, cut in half, frozen
- Line a 9 x 9-inch pan with non-stick foil (or use regular foil and butter or grease well). Set aside.
- Melt marshmallows and butter in microwave-safe bowl, starting with 45 seconds, stirring, then heating and stirring at 30-second intervals till marshmallows are melted and smooth.
- Mix in caramel sauce.
- In a large bowl, add cereal and Rolo halves. Toss Rolos so that the sticky cut surface is covered with cereal. Add marshmallow mixture and gently mix till combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. With a buttered spatula, buttered hands, or a piece of wax paper, press the warm mixture till it fills all corners of the pan and is level. Chill before cutting.
- To send in a lunch box, wrap each square in plastic wrap. To serve to company, you can drizzle with melted chocolate chips and top with a Rolo candy.
Do not overheat the marshmallow and butter mixture.
Store covered at room temperature for 2 days, though they'll still be tasty for up to a week.
Freeze for up to 6 weeks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 185mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 0gSugar: 26gProtein: 2g