Push a classic childhood treat over the top by adding even more decadence! Mixing in caramel and caramel candies create these outrageously delicious, unforgettable Caramel Rolo Rice Krispie Treats!
Caramel Rolo Rice Krispie Treats
I am not a huge fan of marshmallows. The kids, yes. The hubby, of course. The dog? One of her favorite treats! But I DO love Rice Krispie Treats…and so do my kids.
The plain ol’ back of the cereal box recipe is just fine with me. And not that they’re anything close to healthy, at least the cereal is fortified with vitamins and minerals, so a Rice Krispie Treat is not the worst confection to pack in a lunch box.
And while we’re at it, why not make them super special???? Add some caramel sauce, then some chopped candy. Now we’re talkin’. That first week back to school is stressful for parents and kids, so why not offer something extra special like these Caramel Rolo Rice Krispie Treats to share the love.
Thumbs Up from the College Crowd
Nick was invited to a friend’s lake house for the weekend, so I knew I needed to send him with a few goodies as these college boys have voracious appetites. I whipped up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, then eyed the mega box of Rice Krispies I had in the pantry.
I had some leftover caramel sauce in the fridge, plus a bag of mini Rolos…I had a plan. Nick came back tired and sun burnt, but did report that these caramelly treats drew much praise from the boys. They are a wee bit sticky, but one of these bars placed in a baggie or wrapped in Saran would be the perfect lunch box treat.
If you love Rice Krispie treats, check out these Stuffed Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, too. Plus these Cream Caramels will give you your caramel fix! You might like to check out this basic recipe for Always Soft and Chewy Rice Krispie Treats, too.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 40 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 8 ounce bag mini Rolos, cut in half (chocolate coated caramel candies)
- Line a 9 x 9 inch pan with non-stick foil (or use regular foil and butter or grease well). Set aside.
- Melt marshmallows and butter in microwave safe bowl, starting with 45 seconds, stirring, then heating and stirring at 30 second intervals till marshmallows are melted and smooth. Mix in caramel sauce.
- In a large bowl, add cereal and Rolo halves. Toss Rolos so that the sticky cut surface is covered with cereal. Add marshmallow mixture and gently mix till combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. With a buttered spatula, press warm mixture till it fills all corners of the pan and is level. Chill before cutting.
- To send in a lunch box, wrap each square in plastic wrap. To serve to company, you can drizzle with melted chocolate chips and top with a Rolo candy.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 185mg Carbohydrates: 47g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 26g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g