An ice cream that reminds you of licking the batter in your childhood kitchen? Yes, this Cake Batter Ice Cream evokes delicious memories of those forbidden tastes of cake batter, but this time, you have permission to indulge!
Cake Batter Ice Cream
Did you all know there was such a thing as Cake Batter ice cream??? Maybe I just live in a hole. When I polled my kids on their favorite ice cream flavors, my oldest mentioned cake batter. In fact, he sent me a text with a photo of a recently eaten scoop of the stuff so I could see the color.
Basically, cake batter ice cream is a rich vanilla custard with a couple of big scoops of dry cake mix which adds that distinctive “cake” flavor. I decided on a butter cake boxed mix as I felt it was the least artificial tasting option, found a few recipes to give me some guidance and made it my own.
How to Make This Cake Batter Ice Cream Recipe
- Most of the on-line recipes for cake batter ice cream I located did not contain egg yolks, which I consider imperative for giving the ice cream a nice rich mouthfeel. It does require a few extra steps, but it’s worth it.
- You’ll have to cook a custard, pour it through a sieve, then refrigerate it overnight. But don’t despair…it’s really worth the wait.
- The flavor of cake batter comes from the dry cake mix. If you have a favorite flavor, give it a try. I find a yellow cake mix to taste artificial, so I usually go with a butter cake mix.
- I also dipped my cones in melted white chocolate and then dusted the chocolate with sprinkles for a celebratory flair.
I brought a cone to my friend, Candy, who happened to have a birthday on the morning our knitting group was meeting. She was thrilled with the special treat…and was nice enough to share a bite with the other gals. I’m guarding the last serving in my freezer. I need Tom to stop by and let me know if my creation is anything like the Stone Cold Creamery version.
More Ice Cream Desserts:
- Chocolate Ice Cream from Love from the Oven
- Cheesecake Ice Cream Sundaes
- Brownie Baked Alaska
- White Chocolate Ice Cream
- Fresh Peach Ice Cream
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Chocolate Ice Cream Pie
- Mocha Ice Cream
- More Dessert Recipes
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup cake mix (I used a butter flavored cake mix)
- In a saucepan, heat cream and milk with sugar and cook till sugar dissolves and mixture starts to bubble around the edges.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a large measuring cup or a heat safe bowl. Drizzle some of the hot cream mixture into eggs, whisking constantly. Keep adding cream until about a cup is incorporated, whisking constantly. Pour yolk mixture into pan and cook till mixture just starts to boil, whisking frequently Remove from heat and strain through a sieve to remove any cooked egg. Whisk in vanilla and cake mix till incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Process in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Place in freezer till it reaches desired firmness.
Total time: 9 hours, including an overnight chill
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 110mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 4g