Bourbon Pecan Pie
Bourbon Pecan Pie belongs on your Thanksgiving menu. It’s pure Americana and the perfect way to celebrate!
This Easy Pecan Pie, from Tom Douglas, is spiked with a good slosh of bourbon or rum. This holiday dessert does not disappoint!
Why You Must Make
- It’s a classic Thanksgiving recipe!
- You don’t have to count calories on holidays. This is one of the richest, most delicious holiday pie recipes!
- The bourbon is subtle, but beautifully enhances the flavor of the pecan pie filling.
- If you’re a pie novice, feel free to purchase a pre-made crust. There is a lot of preparation when making a traditional Thanksgiving meal, and rolling out a pie crust can be a bit daunting!
- Do you know what blind baking is? This technique pre-bakes the pastry before the filling is added. This ensures the bottom crust is cooked thoroughly. Basically, you line the pie crust with a sheet of parchment or nonstick foil, fill with pie weights (or dried beans) and bake for about 10 minutes. Next, remove the beans and paper and bake for about 5 more minutes. Check out the details on the King Arthur Flour website.
- In this case, you don’t want to thoroughly bake the crust, but just give it a head start and firm it up so the gooey filling has a sturdy shell.
- Pro-Tip: If you have time, toast the pecans in the oven to draw out their essential oils, maximizing their flavor.
- The pecans are arranged on the surface of the crust, then the filling mixture is added. Remarkably, the pecans stay top-side up and rise to the top!
- Pro-Tip: As the pie bakes, peek in to see if the crust is browning too fast. If so, you may want to use a pie shield or cover the edges with foil.
- Pro-Tip: Make sure your pecans are fresh. If they’ve been in the pantry since last Thanksgiving, they may have gone rancid.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can pierce the center with a sharp knife to see if it’s set. Alternatively, use an instant-read thermometer and look for the temperature to read 200°. The filling will be fully cooked at that point.
You can buy special pie shields that will cover the crust while the filling finishes baking. But it’s just as easy to cover the edges with aluminum foil.
Since there are eggs in the filling, it’s best to keep your loosely wrapped and cooled pecan pie in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Alcohol, like salt, is a flavor enhancer. Most will evaporate during the hour of baking time, but if you’d prefer to leave it out, the pie will still taste amazing.
You May Also Like:
Pies are a special treat at our house. A pumpkin pie is imperative for Thanksgiving, but I love to rotate through some favorites for our second pie.
- Flaky Pie Crust Recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Chocolate Pecan Pie
- Pecan Pie Thumbprint Cookies
- Chocolate Velvet Pie
- Easy Chocolate Cream Pie
- Classic Pumpkin Pie
- Best Apple Pie Recipe
- More of the Best Pie Recipes
- 1 3/4 cups pecan halves, toasted and cooled (at 350° for 5-7 minutes)
- One 9 inch pie crust, blind baked*, then cooled
- 4 eggs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or dark rum, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Arrange the pecans in the pie shell, top side up. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Add the melted butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, molasses, vanilla, bourbon or rum (if using), and salt, whisking until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pastry shell.
- Bake until the pie is cooked through and set, 50 to 55 minutes. You can carefully pierce the top of the pie with a knife to see if the filling is set.
- Let the pie cool on a rack for about 1 hour before slicing and serving.
*If you're unfamiliar with blind baking, check out the link in the post for more instructions.
Don't worry about your pecans as you pour in the custard. They should remain
top-side up and rise to the top of the pie. Such a neat trick!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 445Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 224mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 5g