If you’re looking for blueberry muffins with a cake-like consistency, these Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins are the answer. Tender, sweet and chock full of berries, you’ll want to make a double batch!
Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins
Friends on one of my favorite food boards have been raving about these muffins for years. When I got an e-mail from the Mothers’ Club at my son’s high school about breakfast for the teachers, I finally got a chance to make them. The sour cream makes these moist and tender, and I had enough batter so the thirteenth muffin was all mine!
Tips for Making Blueberry Muffins
These sour cream blueberry muffins are lighter than many muffins, more like cake. Super delicious, especially since you don’t have to wait until blueberry season to bake these!
- Sour cream adds moisture and tenderness. The lactic acid helps soften the proteins in the flour.
- Using frozen blueberries is a wonderful way to minimize bleeding of purple juices into the muffin batter, but you must work quickly!
- Coating the blueberries with flour helps keep them suspended in the batter. Otherwise, they could all sink to the bottom.
- Do not over mix once the flour mixture is added as this will cause tunnels due to over activating the leaveners.
- All ovens bake differently (my new oven is giving me headaches as everything takes longer to bake), so use the times listed as a guide, not as law.
- Test your muffins with a toothpick inserted into the middle of a couple muffins near the end of the baking time. It should come out clean or with a few moist crumbs, not wet with batter.
You’ll also love these Buttermilk Bran Muffins, Double Cherry Muffins, Buttermilk Corn Muffins, Raspberry White Chocolate Muffins, Double Berry Muffins and Blueberry Orange Muffins. And how about this Lemon Blueberry Muffin Bread?
This post was originally shared in May, 2011. Photos and text were updated in 2019.Print
Blueberry Sour Cream Muffins
Perfect blueberry muffins for a breakfast, brunch or mid-afternoon treat!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch, Quick Bread
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 1/4 cups sour cream
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries (use wild if available) or fresh blueberries
Preheat oven to 350º.
Line muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
Using another bowl or large Pryex measuring cup, whisk egg for about 20 seconds, add sugar and whisk well, then slowly add melted butter. Add sour cream and whisk to combine.
Add berries to dry ingredients and toss. Add sour cream mixture and fold in gently with spatula. Do not over-mix, but make sure flour is incorporated.
Divide batter into muffin tin. Bake till golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Remove muffins from pan to wire rack and cool slightly before serving.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen