Moist and packed full of fruit, these tempting double berry muffins have an exotic touch of Fiori di Sicilia.
Double Berry Muffins
Some of you sweet friends have asked about my latest knitting project. Ha.ha.ha. The true knitters in my group would buckle over in fits of laughter. Here is my full disclosure: I knit one ugly scarf and unknit it when I finished.
These double berry muffins arrived late as did their baker, so care packages went home with my friends. I kept two for myself, though, and tried to eat just a half with my afternoon tea.
But each bite was a delightful combination of sweet berries and tender cake. I am proud that I only gobbled up only one and not both!
Fiori di Sicilia
Vanilla extract was a given, but these berry muffins would also be fabulous with the addition of some orange zest. I learned from Dorie Greenspan to rub the zest into the sugar to help release the aromatic oils.
But instead of zest, I used another favorite flavoring, Fiori di Sicilia, which is a mixture of citrus and vanilla. It was marvelous with the berries.
Be forewarned, though, don’t be heavy handed. 1/4 teaspoon was plenty for a dozen generous sized muffins. Don’t worry if your pantry isn’t stocked with Fiori di Sicilia, though, as they will be heavenly even without!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia flavoring, optional
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Using another bowl or large Pryex measuring cup, whisk egg for about 20 seconds, add sugar and whisk well, then slowly add melted butter. Add sour cream and whisk to combine. Mix in flavorings.
- Add berries to dry ingredients and toss. Add sour cream mixture and fold in gently with spatula. Do not over-mix, but make sure no obvious pockets of flour.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin. Bake till golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes. Remove muffins from pan to wire rack and cool slightly before serving.
Adapted from ATK's Blueberry Muffins
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 203 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 30mg Sodium: 180mg Carbohydrates: 36g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 18g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g