This is the Best Coffee Ice Cream recipe and the perfect summer treat for coffee lovers! Rich and luscious, you won’t be able to stop at one scoop!
Though I don’t drink coffee anymore, I can never resist a scoop of Homemade Coffee Ice Cream. This recipe will knock your socks off!
The Best Coffee Ice Cream
I licked the pan, I licked the ice cream processor freezing bowl, I licked the paddle. And I don’t consider myself a big fan of ice cream. But there is something I can’t resist when it comes to coffee ice cream. Spiked with Kahlua and infused with 3 tablespoons of espresso powder, this homemade coffee ice cream is a coffee lover’s dream.
Tips for Making Homemade Coffee Ice Cream
This coffee ice cream is made with a cooked custard. This rich cream and egg mixture needs to be dealt with carefully to ensure a smooth, luscious ice cream.
- The custard should be very cold before putting it into your ice cream maker. If not cold enough, the custard won’t freeze properly.
- Make the custard the day before you plan to eat the ice cream, so it can rest overnight in the refrigerator.
- A hot cream mixture will be drizzled into the 6 whisked egg yolks. This needs to be done very slowly while whisking the mixture vigorously.
- The hot cream will scramble the eggs if added too quickly, so do not rush this process!
- An electric ice cream maker will have this ice cream at soft serve stage in 20-30 minutes. If you’d like it harder, place the ice cream into a freezer safe container, cover and let freeze a few more hours.
- Note that your ice cream canister needs to be frozen overnight or it will not freeze your ice cream properly. Believe me, I’ve tried and failed!
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Cheesecake Ice Cream
- White Chocolate Ice Cream
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Pie
- Fresh Peach Ice Cream
- Mocha Ice Cream
- Oreo Ice Cream
- More Dessert Recipes
- Plus, you may like this Tiramisu Cheesecake!
Coffee Ice Cream
A delicious version of homemade coffee ice cream
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Ice Cream
- Method: Heating, Churning, Freezing
- Cuisine: American
6 egg yolks
1¾ cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
¾ cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon Kahlua
Put the egg yolks in a large heatproof bowl and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, stir together the heavy cream, milk, sugar, salt and instant espresso powder. Bring the mixture to a slow, consistent simmer (just this side of a boil) and remove from heat.
Whisk the egg yolks until just combined, then slowly stream in half of the hot coffee cream mixture while whisking constantly. Transfer the egg mixture back to the medium saucepan containing the other half of the coffee cream mixture. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the hack of a spoon (about 175 degrees on an instant-read thermometer).
Remove from heat and strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a bowl. Whisk in the Kahlua, and let mixture cool to room temperature.
Press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the mixture. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
Pour into an ice cream machine and freeze, following the manufacturer’s directions.