This hearty Sausage, Lentil and Vegetable Chowder will hit the spot on a chilly winter’s night!! Flavorful from the sausage, filling from the lentils and healthy from the chopped veggies!
Sausage, Lentil and Vegetable Chowder
I won no popularity contests with this Sausage, Lentil and Vegetable Chowder. Nick was a good sport and had a bowl, along with the split pea and ham soup I made for his father. The latter won out, but he did inquire what alternatives there were when they both showed up on the menu the next night, too.
I, though, was in heaven. This hearty, veggie-packed soup was perfect for the record cold streak we had in early January, where the high was often -10º. I won’t even mention the wind chills. I ate this for lunch and dinner for numerous days in a row, and never tired of its deliciousness.
Lentil Soup Recipe
Over the holidays, I was treated to two marvelous lentil soup recipes, one at a pre-Christmas luncheon and another on New Year’s Day. I took elements of both and came up with this stellar version. You can easily make this recipe vegetarian, just omit the sausage and use vegetable broth.
I would be apoplectic if I ever got a request for this lentil soup from my family members, but I must admit I’m delighted to have a vat of this sausage, lentil and vegetable chowder in the fridge for my lunches the rest of the week. How do you feel about lentils???
- 1 pound French green lentils
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 leeks, cleaned and white parts chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 14 1/2 ounce cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt (may need to adjust depending on saltiness of chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- Piece of Parmesan rind, optional
- In a large bowl, cover lentils with boiling water and let rest for 15 minutes. Drain.
- While lentils are soaking, saute Italian sausage slices in 2 tablespoons olive oil till browned. Remove and set aside. Add the rest of the olive oil and saute onions till translucent, then add leeks and garlic and saute a few minutes before adding carrots, celery and bell pepper. Cook about 10 minutes, then add tomatoes and drained lentils.
- Add chicken broth, seasonings, Parmesan rind (if using) and reserved sausage and simmer for about an hour or till lentils are cooked through. Serve with grated Parmesan if desired
Yield: 8-10 servings
Total time: 1 1/2 hours
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 422Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 1885mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 8gSugar: 12gProtein: 20g