Apple Pie Pizza
This Apple Pie Pizza brings the fall flavors of apple pie and crisp recipes to a Dessert Pizza! But it’s much easier to prepare. Instead of the usual savory cheese-topped variety, this Easy Apple Dessert is made with a pastry crust and topped with cinnamon-spiced apples and a crumble topping!
An unusual Homemade Pizza Recipe, this twist on Dutch Apple Pie is an exquisite way to celebrate autumn!
Why You Must Make
Dessert pizzas are nothing new, from the fruit numbers made with a cookie dough crust, cream cheese filling, and fruit topping to those pizzeria offerings with a bread base and canned pie filling. My kids loved the latter, a frequent treat at their grade school parties. Me? I’d rather make mine at home!
- This homemade dessert pizza has a real, buttery pastry crust, sliced apples tossed in warm autumn spices, and a streusel topping. This is one of those Apple Desserts you can’t resist
- A cinnamony, apple aroma will waft through your kitchen. This caught the interest of the picky hubby. He even had a before-dinner slice.
- If you’re looking for a unique autumn dessert that both kids and adults will inhale, this apple pie pizza fits the bill! It will taste so much better when it’s homemade!
How to Make
What is Dutch apple pie you might ask? As someone who does not enjoy rolling out pie crusts, a pie with a crumb topping is a dream dessert. And a Dutch apple pie is exactly that, an apple pie with no top crust, but instead topped with streusel. This easy apple dessert has the 3 components of a Dutch apple pie: a pastry crust, sweetened, cinnamon-spiced apples, and a crumb topping.
- Fit the pastry “pizza” crust onto the pizza pan.
- Arrange the cinnamon sugar-coated apples over the crust.
- Sprinkle the apples with the crumb topping, then bake as directed or until the apples are soft and tender. Cool, then slice and serve with ice cream if desired.
- Using an easy-to-roll-out pie crust recipe with butter and cream cheese, make this dessert pizza a breeze to prepare. But even simpler is purchasing a ready-to-bake grocery store pie crust.
- Purchase some yummy baking apples like Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious, Jonathans, or Granny Smiths, and you’re ready to go. Local pie apples in your area are wonderful, too.
- PRO-Tip: Slice your apples approximately ½-inch thick. Too thick and they will not be cooked when the crust is perfectly browned.
- Years ago, I made this homemade pizza recipe with an oat streusel, but the hubby prefers his oatmeal only for breakfast. So a simpler brown sugar, flour, and butter crumble was substituted. Either topping makes a delicious apple dessert recipe.
- PRO-Tip: Take a sharp knife and pierce a few apples at the end of the baking time. The knife should insert easily when they’re done.
- You’ll need a (affiliate link) pizza pan if you want to make sure your apple pie pizza is round, but a sheet pan will work just as well. Don’t bother buying an extra pan if homemade pizza is not a regular occurrence in your kitchen.
Frequently Asked Questions
There can be up to 3 components: the crust, the filling, and the topping. The crust can be made with pizza, pastry, or cookie dough. The filling is often fruit-based. And the topping can be a crumble, streusel, or a simple glaze.
I’ve also made a Fresh Fruit Pizza, but other dessert pizza ideas include fresh Strawberry, Blueberry, or Cherry Pie (using canned pie filling), Nutella, S’mores, Chocolate Chip, or Cinnamon Roll. Just use your imagination!
You May Also Like:
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes from Big Bear’s Wife
- Air Fryer Apple Pie from Air Frying Foodie
- Fried Apple Pies
- Traditional Apple Cobbler
- Best Apple Pie
- Apple Streusel Bars
- Deep Dish Apple Pie
- Best Apple Recipes
- Pastry for a single-crust pie. I used this Apple Galette pastry dough.
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- 4 baking apples (I used 2 Granny Smiths and 2 Golden Delicious), peeled, cored and sliced into ½-inch slices)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Caramel sauce, optional, to drizzle over pizza
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Roll out the pastry crust to fit a 12-inch pizza pan. Fold the edges of the pizza under to make a rim around the perimeter.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with sugar, flour, and spices. Arrange over crust in a single layer.
- Combine the topping ingredients until well mixed and crumbly, and sprinkle over the apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Drizzle with caramel and serve warm. Top with ice cream if desired.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 628Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 427mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 4gSugar: 46gProtein: 7g