This Whole Wheat Molasses Quick Bread is top notch with buttermilk for a tender crumb, molasses for sweetness and cornmeal for some extra body!
Whole Wheat Molasses Quick Bread
Dark, dense soda breads remind me of our time in Ireland. The kids were enthralled with touring castles with murder holes over their gated entries, whereas I was obsessed with the yummy breads offered at every pub.
This whole wheat molasses quick bread was moist, flavorful and irresistible, and just as amazing as those Irish loaves. My friend, Susan, brought this bread to one of our holiday celebrations. I immediately asked for the recipe. Don’t you love having such talented foodie friends? I’m lucky to be surrounded by them, and they’re always generous with their recipes.
Easy Whole Wheat Bread
This Mark Bittman recipe came together in just a few minutes. This Whole Wheat Molasses Quick Bread needs buttermilk for added essential moisture and the molasses provided a sweetness in addition to some depth of flavor. Baked for a full hour, you will love a thick slice smeared with butter. We adored this Whole Wheat Molasses Quick Bread.
Be careful not to over mix the batter as that will cause tunnels. Just mix until the flour is incorporated. Never use a mixer with quick breads.
Sweeter than the typical Irish soda breads, hearty and satisfying, it’s one I’ll make again and again. And it was surprisingly moist the next day, not that there was much left. But I made sure it didn’t get a chance to go stale. Now scurry on into your kitchen and make this wonderful Whole Wheat Molasses Quick Bread!
You may need these supplies to make this Whole Wheat Molasses Quick Bread recipe:
More Simple Bread Recipes
- Country Boule with Spelt and Sourdough by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- No Knead Bread from Holly at A Baker’s House
- Brown Sugar Apple Bread
- Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread
- Goat Cheese Biscuits
- Rosemary Olive Bread
- Homemade Potato Bread
- Classic Oatmeal Bread
- Bread Recipes
Whole Wheat and Molasses Quick Bread
A hearty quick bread flavored with molasses
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf 1x
- Category: Bread, Quick Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Irish
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup molasses
- Preheat the oven to 325. Butter a large loaf pan.
- Mix together the dry ingredients. Stir the molasses into the buttermilk. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients, mixing just till combined, then pour into the loaf pan. Bake until firm and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool on a rack for about 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
Adapted from Mark Bittman.