Eggs are such a versatile ingredient. I go through dozens each month to use in desserts, but they’re just as fabulous in breakfast, brunch or even dinner recipes like this delectable Spinach Bell Pepper Frittata.
Spinach Bell Pepper Frittata
The hubby is out the door for work before 6 AM nearly every day. He’ll often joke asking me whether I’m planning to have his bacon and eggs hot and ready by the time he’s set for breakfast. Uh, no. But he does get lots of yummy blog leftovers.
Like this Spinach Bell Pepper Frittata that I made for Brunch Week. As my fellow food bloggers know, creating and photographing many dishes mid-day to take advantage of the natural light for photographs is ideal.
So my lunch on this particular day was a terrific, veggie-packed egg dish. Bill spotted the leftover frittata in the fridge and was quite chuffed when I told him it was fair game for breakfast the next morning.
Welcome to the second annual brunch week hosted by Terri of Love and Confections and Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen! Join us May 5th through 11th while we celebrate the deliciousness of brunch and to prepare for Mother’s Day and summer brunching season.
We have 32 bloggers bringing you their best brunch game, from cocktails to eggs benedict to donuts, there is something for everything this week. Our amazing sponsors have donated some great prizes for a gigantic giveaway, please visit them all for more information.
The Process to Make a Frittata
A frittata is a nearly effortless egg dish that you start on the stovetop and finish in the oven. I love adding aromatics, veggies and cheese. The options are limitless. For this frittata, I had a lovely stash of mini bell peppers from Baloian Farms, one of our sponsors, so I sliced up a couple along with a shallot and a couple cups of baby spinach.
There were loads of options in my cheese drawer, but I selected some easy melting Muenster. A non-stick pan is ideal for this feat, but I managed just fine with my stainless steel saute pan.
The veggies were cooked till tender, the eggs were added and cooked briefly before the pan was popped in the oven till the frittata was puffed to perfection. Bill shared his gratitude for this terrific breakfast treat when he got home for dinner that night.Print
Spinach and Bell Pepper Frittata
A versatile dish that’s delicious for any meal of the day
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Saute, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2–3 mini bell peppers, sliced into rings with seeds removed, I used Baloian Farms
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 6–8 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup shredded Muenster cheese
- 1 tablespoon basil, chiffonade
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Saute shallots and bell peppers in olive oil in a non-stick skillet till tender. Add spinach and saute till wilted. Stir in basil.
- Whisk together eggs, salt, pepper and cheese and add to skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, and carefully lift the edges of the egg with your spatula (I recommended OXO Flip & Fold Omelet Turner) to let some of the uncooked egg flow under the fritatta. Cook for a couple minutes, then pop the pan in the oven and cook till puffed and slightly browned (time will vary depending on size of your pan, but mine took 10 minutes). Center should be look set.
And here is a list of all the other magnificent brunch dishes shared by my friends today:
- Raspberry-Mango Batido from Foxes Love Lemons
- Blackberry Mimosas from Quarter Life (Crisis) Cuisine
Brunch Egg Dishes:
- Spinach Bell Pepper Frittata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Corn Souffle from Hungry Couple
- Croque Madame Muffins from Cooking in Stilettos
- Fajita Vegetable Quesadillas with Eggs and Avocado Hollandaise from Sarcastic Cooking
- Bacon, Cheddar, Zucchini Quiche from The Kitchen Prep
- Tortilla Espanola from Savvy Eats
Brunch Breads and Grains:
- Blueberry Cornmeal Waffles from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Busy Bee’s Granola from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Dipped Banana Hazelnut Pancake Kebabs from Food Faith Fitness
- Springtime Sweet Rolls from Eat Your Heart Out
- 10 Minute English Muffin Cream Cheese Danish from Neighborfood
- Lemon Poppyseed Scones from Real Housemoms
- Apple Croissants from Hip Foodie Mom
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
Brunch Fruits, Vegetables, Sides:
- Roasted Beet Salad with Pistachios and Blue Cheese from Healthy. Delicious.
- Caramelized Onion, Apple and Gruyere Bites from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Savory Truffles from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Surprise Inside Orange Pound Cake from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Strawberry Hazelnut Crumble with Coconut Whipped Cream from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Corn Fritter Shortcakes with Maple Whipped Cream from The Spiffy Cookie