This Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti is a perennial favorite at our house! The pasta is mixed with gooey cheese, tomatoes, black olives plus basil and red pepper flakes for an out of the ordinary meatless entree.
Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti
I recall the first time I made this Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti almost two decades ago. Bill came home from work, inquiring about dinner as is his routine. When I shared the name of this pasta dish, he grew quiet before asking, “Are you serving me fish???” His culinary vocabulary grew by two new words that day. Penne is a tubular type of pasta. Havarti is a creamy Danish cheese. Neither are fish. Lesson completed.
Perfect for Pasta Lovers
Kraft Deluxe or even this Copycat Panera Mac and Cheese are the sorts of pasta dishes Katie adores. But this spicy penne quickly became a family favorite, especially with the pasta loving daughter. She often requests this “spicy macaroni” for her birthday dinner…and it makes the rounds every Lent when we need a meatless meal. With the popularity of Meatless Mondays and the arrival of Lent last week, the Sunday Supper gang has gathered their favorite meatless recipes to share with you all today.
Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti
A gooey, upscale mac and cheese with penne pasta and havarti cheese!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Entree, Pasta
- Method: Saute, Boil, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 10-12 ounces Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- Fresh basil, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Saute onion and garlic till onion is translucent. Add tomatoes, basil, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir well. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cook till liquid is reduced. Check for seasonings and add more pepper flakes and salt if needed.
- Cook pasta in well-salted water according to package instructions. Drain well and mix into tomato sauce. Add Havarti and toss till well combined. Pour into a large, greased baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan, then olives. Bake at 350º for about 20 minutes, till hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with basil if desired.
!Adapted from American Favorites by Betty Rosbottom
More Meatless Meals from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers!
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—> Sunday Supper Movement.