Sausage Fettuccine Recipe
I’ve been making this Sausage Fettuccine Recipe for decades. Creamy sauce plus spicy sausage and vegetables make for pure comfort food.
This twist on a Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe with the addition of sausage, mushrooms, and peppers makes for a marvelous, easy dinner dish!
Why You Must Make
- If you love a fettuccine alfredo recipe, you’ll love this loaded version with sausage, vegetables, and a rich cream sauce.
- It’s easy enough for a weeknight dinner, yet tasty enough for company.
- You can lighten it up a bit by using half and half instead of heavy cream and up the amount of vegetables!
When I had a toddler and a newborn at home many years ago, I found much pleasure in watching cooking shows on TV. This was way before Food Network. In fact, I think PBS was the only station offering any sort of cooking show. There was the Cajun Cook, Justin Wilson, Julia Child, and then a mystery show from which I ordered recipe cards. I remember nothing of the hosts or format. I’m certain colicky #2 caused some selective memory loss.
The top of the cards read: Food for Entertainment, and I’ve been making a version of this sausage pepper mushroom fettuccine for decades now. Of course, when I started, 2 cups of heavy cream wasn’t such a concern…but every couple of years, I dig out the notecard and treat us to this delicious indulgence.
- Olive Oil – I use extra virgin olive oil
- Mild Italian Sausages – May use spicy Italian sausage, too.
- Bell Peppers – Use one color or a variety
- Onion – Yellow or white work well
- Mushrooms – Button mushrooms or any favorite mushroom variety
- Heavy Cream or Half and Half – Using half and half will lighten up the sauce, but it will be slightly less rich and creamy
- Fettuccine Noodles – Any pasta shape will work
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper – Kosher salt and use a pepper grinder if available
- Parmesan Cheese – Freshly grated, not from a can
There are a few ways to streamline your prep and execution of this pasta for an easy weeknight dinner. This easy pasta recipe takes just about 30 minutes to throw together; perfect for busy weeknights. Very similar to a fettuccine alfredo recipe, but with the bonus of healthy peppers and mushrooms to make the indulgence a little less caloric.
- Get your pasta water boiling, then start sauteing your sausage while cutting up the peppers and onions.
- Add salt to the pasta water after it starts boiling. The water should taste as salty as seawater to flavor the pasta properly.
- Buy pre-sliced mushrooms to cut down on prep work. You can also check the salad bar to see if they have sliced peppers to purchase.
- Multi-task by reducing the cream during the 10-minute sausage browning time.
With a little organization, you can have this elegant meal on your table in no time. Round out your meal with bread or rolls, a green vegetable, and a tossed salad.
- Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and you’re set. Garlic Bread would also be delicious.
- Roasted Green Beans
- Sauteed Broccoli
- Green Salad
Frequently Asked Questions
Fettuccine is the name given to thin flat egg noodles that measure about 3/4-inch wide.
Besides Alfredo sauce, other smooth sauces like Vodka or Carbonara sauce work well. It’s also delicious with Bolognese sauce or a simple basil pesto sauce.
Known as the most unhealthy pasta dish, the Alfredo sauce is full of saturated fats. The butter, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese are all high in calories and fat.
It’s OK to eat occasionally, but take a small portion and load your plate with healthier side dishes.
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausages, cut into slices (I used 4 links)
- 4 bell peppers, red, yellow and orange, cut into quarter-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 12 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups heavy cream or half and half
- 1 pound fettuccine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add sausage, peppers, and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add mushrooms.
- Cook another couple minutes, then reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes more till mushrooms and sausage are both browned. Drain any juices to ensure better browning. Set aside.
- Put cream or half and half into a saucepan and cook till reduced by half.
- Cook fettuccine in well-salted water and drain.
- Reheat sausage mixture if needed then toss with pasta in a large bowl. Add cream and Parmesan and toss. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
Use mild or spicy Italian sausage.
Use half and half to reduce the calories slightly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 812Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 29gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 942mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 28g