I’ve been making this Sausage, Pepper, Mushroom Fettuccine recipe for decades. Creamy sauce plus spicy sausage and vegetables makes for pure comfort food.
This twist on a Fettuccine Alfredo Recipe with the addition of sausage, mushrooms and peppers makes for a marvelous, easy dinner dish!
Sausage Pepper Mushroom Fettuccine
When I had a toddler and a newborn at home many years ago, I found much pleasure in watching cooking shows on TV. This was way before Food Network…in fact, I think PBS was the only station offering any said show. There was the Cajun Cook, Justin Wilson, Julia Child, and then a mystery show from which I ordered recipe cards…I remember nothing of the hosts or format. I’m certain colicky #2 caused some selective memory loss.
The top of the cards read: Food for Entertainment, and I’ve been making a version of this sausage pepper mushroom feuttuccine for decades now. Of course, when I started, 2 cups of heavy cream wasn’t such a concern…but every couple years, I dig out the note card and treat us to this delicious indulgence.
Tips for Making an Easy Weeknight Dinner
There are a few ways to streamline your prep and execution of this pasta for an easy weeknight dinner.This easy pasta recipe takes just about 30 minutes to throw together; perfect for busy weeknights. Very similar to a fettuccine alfredo recipe, but with the bonus of healthy peppers and mushrooms to make the indulgence a little less caloric.
- Get your pasta water boiling, start sauteing your sausage while cutting up the peppers and onions.
- Buy pre-sliced mushrooms to cut down on prep work.
- Multi-task by reducing the cream during the 10 minute browning time.
With a little organization, you can have this elegant meal on your table in no time. Serve with a crusty loaf of bread and you’re set.
What’s your go-to easy dinner recipe? We also love this Chicken Piccata recipe!
A Couple of Things You May Need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound mild Italian sausages, cut into slices (I used 4 links)
- 3-4 bell peppers, red, yellow and orange, cut into quarter inch slices
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced
- 8-12 ounces of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups whipping cream or half and half
- 1 pound fettuccine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat and add sausage, peppers and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add mushrooms. Cook another couple minutes, then reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes more till mushrooms and sausage both brown. Drain any juices to ensure better browning. Set aside.
- Put cream or half and half into a saucepan and cook till reduced by half.
- Cook fettuccine in well salted water and drain.
- Reheat sausage mixture if needed then toss with pasta in a large bowl. Add cream and Parmesan and toss. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese.
I’m offering a series of Skinny Tips. How I keep slim is one of my most frequent inquiries. I’m featuring some of my past tips to help you start 2015 on a healthy note. Click on the #SkinnyTip tag at the end of this post to see all my previous tips.
Tip #52: Drink lots of water. It will help fill you up and prevent snacking when you’re not truly hungry.