Pumpkin Bread with Apples: This cinnamon sugar crusted Pumpkin Bread flavored with warm spices and studded with diced apples makes for a perfect fall treat!
Apple Pumpkin Bread makes a tasty breakfast, snack or gift. A ridiculously easy, moist and tender quick bread that’s ready in no time!
Pumpkin Bread with Apples
Pumpkin Bread is a long-standing autumn tradition at Chez Skinny Chick. Despite the hubby’s dislike of anything pumpkin besides our Thanksgiving pie, my three grown children were instant fans at a young age.
I make a triple batch of Classic Pumpkin Bread throughout the fall and winter and send a loaf to college with Nick, another home with Tom and keep a third for Katie at our house. Growing up, besides the Homer toffee, the pumpkin bread from our Dutch neighbors was the most coveted holiday food gift.
So to shake things up a bit, I found a recipe for pumpkin bread filled with apple bits and dusted with a cinnamon sugar topping.
Apple Pumpkin Bread Recipe
I sent one of these loaves home with our oldest, then Katie and I took turns sawing off large slices from the remaining bread. Not one to embrace change, Katie picked all the apples out of her slices. But this is the girl who still orders off the children’s menu though she is well past the age limit.
Soooo, I still considered it a victory and I loved having the soft sweet bits of apple in nearly every bite. Plus the crunchy sugar topping was a delicious embellishment. This pumpkin bread with apples was definitely a tasty change of pace from our standard recipe.
Tips for Making Quick Breads
- Start with fresh, quality ingredients. Always check that your leaveners are fresh and that your apple shows no signs of dehydration. The skin should be smooth with no bruising.
- PRO-Tip: Do not over mix the batter once the flour and baking soda are added. Whisking furiously will over activate the gluten and cause tunnels throughout the loaf.
- Make sure your apple bits are not too large. If too big, the apple pieces will not soften by the time the bread is finished baking.
- Remove the bread from the loaf pans after cooling for 10-15 minutes. If you wait any longer, the loaf may stick despite prepping the pan properly. PRO-Tip: If your pan tends to stick, add a rectangle of parchment to the bottom of the pan after greasing. Then grease the top of the parchment.
More Quick Breads You’ll Love:
- Sour Cream Pear Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Raspberry Scones
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Cinnamon Spiced Apple Bread
- Mini Pumpkin Breads
- More Quick Bread Recipes
Pumpkin Bread with Apples
Pumpkin bread with sweet apples for a twist on the classic. Adapted from Celebrate the Rain.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 loaves 1x
- Category: Bread, Quick Bread
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 can (15-ounce) pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- A large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced into small cubes
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease and flour two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs and vegetable oil large bowl and whisk or beat till just blended.
- Add pumpkin mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- Fold in apples.
- Spoon batter equally into prepared loaf pans.
- Mix streusel topping in a separate bowl with a fork and sprinkle evenly over each loaf.
- Bake for one hour minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Freezes well. Wrap in plastic wrap, then foil.