A marinade flavored with tequila, lime, garlic and more, transformed ordinary shrimp into zesty, delectable Margarita Shrimp!
National Margarita Day
Did you all know today is National Margarita Day? I can barely keep track of what day of the week it is, let alone if it’s a foodie holiday. Well, without my foodie friends, I wouldn’t have either. My friend, Heather, of girlichef, has organized a group of bloggers to share margarita recipes. Now margaritas just happen to be my favorite cocktail, but Bill is in the hospital recovering from a heart valve replacement. Much as I’d like to liquor up with a gargantuan slushy margarita, I decided a light, zesty recipe for Margarita Shrimp was a better alternative.
This uber simple recipe made for tender and flavorful shrimp. A marinade with the classic margarita flavors of lime, tequila and triple sec was also given a flavor boost from garlic, cilantro and honey. The shrimp bathed in this flavorsome marinade for just a half hour, then basked under the heat of the broiler till pink. These Margarita Shrimp are pure deliciousness. Make sure you scan the list of stellar libations, nibbles and desserts from my other blogger friends celebrating today:
- Chili Lime Margarita from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chocolate Margaritas from The Texan New Yorker
- Creamsicle Margaritas from Savvy Eats
- Frozen Mango Margarita from Noshing with the Nolands
- Lilikoi Margarita with Li Hung Mui from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Margaritas Gone Wild from Delaware Girl Eats
- Mom’s Wicked Margarita from Desserts Required
- Pomegranate Margarita from Daily Dish Recipes
- Spicy Raspberry Frozen Margarita from The Weekend Gourmet
- The Great Grapefruit Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Tim G’s Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Baked Margarita Chicken Wings from Healthy. Delicious.
- Chambord Margarita Macarons from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Margarita Cake with Sugar Cookie Crust from Gotta Get Baked
- Margarita Cheesecake Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Margarita Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Margarita Donuts from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Margarita Mousse from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Margarita Shrimp Tacos from Supper for a Steal
- Strawberry Margarita Sweet Rolls from The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Top Shelf (Margarita) Truffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails left on
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons tequila
- 1 teaspoon triple sec
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Soak about 10 long wooden skewers in water while you prepare the shrimp.
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium bowl except shrimp. Add shrimp and gently toss to coat shrimp. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, gently stirring a couple times.
- Skewer shrimp onto two parallel skewers and place on rack over baking sheet or a broiler pan.
- Preheat broiler and broil about 6 inches away from element for 3-5 minutes or till cooked through (time depends on size of shrimp), turning at halfway point. Or grill if desired.
- Serve warm.
Total time: 45 minutes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g