Kahlua Fudge Brownies
Kahlua Fudge Brownies are rich brownies topped with fudge. The thick, creamy fudge frosting is like a dessert topping a dessert!
Coffee Brownies have a boost of flavor from just a smidgen of instant coffee plus the Kahlua enhances the chocolate in the fudge topping. Just a touch of coffee, espresso, or Kahlua magnifies chocolate’s intensity without giving a mocha flavor.
Why You Must Make
- You can make the brownie base with a box mix for a quick decadent dessert!!
- These are super rich and using fudge instead of frosting pushes these over the top!
- The coffee flavor of Kahlua enhances the chocolate flavor even more! But you can spike the fudge with any liqueur you like. Baileys is another tasty option!
How to Make
- Make your favorite brownie recipe for an 8 x 8-inch pan. It can be a box mix, one of your favorite brownie recipes, my fudgy brownie recipe, or this Brownie Recipe from my friend, Erin at Well Plated.
- Add espresso powder or instant coffee to the brownie batter to enhance the chocolate flavor, if desired.
- Let the brownies cool completely.
- Make the fudge by microwaving together all the fudge ingredients, stopping to stir at 30-second increments until smooth.
- Pour the fudge over brownies and chill until set.
- Cut and dive right in!!!
- PRO-Tip: Do not overmix as this will make for less tender brownies by over activating the gluten in the flour.
- PRO-Tip: Mix by hand as a mixer will incorporate air and make the brownies more cakey than fudgy.
- Leave out the espresso powder if you really dislike the flavor of coffee, but my husband is in this category and he doesn’t always notice. You can also use instant coffee powder if you don’t have espresso powder on hand, which will be more subtle.
- Do not overbake as that contributes to drier brownies.
- Cut with a hot knife, wiping off between slices. This will minimize cracking as you cut through the fudge topping (or any frosting). A plastic brownie knife works well, too.
- Store them airtight to keep them their freshest.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s all in the ratio of fat to flour. Fudgier brownies have more fat, like butter, eggs, and chocolate than cakier brownies. The fat helps keep them moist and dense. The key is selecting the right recipe.
Adding coffee is an easy way to enhance chocolate’s flavor. From espresso powder to instant coffee to brewed coffee to liqueurs, there are numerous ways to add coffee flavor to chocolate baked goods.
Adding salt to desserts is also key to magnifying flavors and adding balance to rich, sweet desserts.
The definition of Fudge is “A creamy, semisoft candy made with sugar, butter or cream, corn syrup, and various flavorings,” according to the Food Lover’s Companion. The sweetened condensed milk replaces the cream, sugar/corn syrup. So it may not be a true fudge, but its flavor and texture are very fudge-like.
You May Also Like:
- Caramel Espresso Bars
- Fudgy Kahlua Brownies
- Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Homemade Kahlua
- All My Best Brownie Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 1 box of brownie mix made in 8 x 8-inch pan*
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee or ½ teaspoon espresso powder, optional
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ¾ cup milk chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of table salt
- Make your favorite box brownie mix or brownie recipe for an 8 x 8-inch pan, adding espresso powder or instant coffee powder if desired.
- Cool completely.
- When cool, make the fudge topping.
- Gently microwave the sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, Kahlua, vanilla, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Use 30-second increments, stop, stir and repeat on time the mixture is smooth.
- Pour over brownies.
- Chill until set.
- Slice with a hot knife for the neatest slices, wiping off the knife between slices.
*Or use your favorite homemade brownie recipe made in an 8 x 8-inch pan.
Calories will vary depending on whether you use a homemade recipe or a box mix.
Adapted from Hugs and Cookies XOXO.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 268Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 136mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although thatskinnychickcanbake.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Also, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com recommend toppings, which may or may not be listed as optional and nutritional information for these added toppings is not listed. Other factors may change the nutritional information such as when the salt amount is listed “to taste,” it is not calculated into the recipe as the amount will vary. Also, different online calculators can provide different results. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information obtained is accurate.