This Homemade Kahlua is a fabulous copycat recipe for the classic coffee liqueur. A terrific holiday or hostess gift! Just attach a recipe for your favorite Kahlua cocktail.
Kahlua is the liqueur I use most. It’s perfect for adding a subtle coffee taste to baked goods. And who doesn’t like a nice bottle of booze as a holiday gift? You can include a recipe for my Kahlua Cake, my Kahlua Brownies or even a Kahlua and Cream Cocktail. You need to start this homemade Kahlua one month ahead of gift giving for the best results. So get going now. Your friends will love this!
Tips for Making This Holiday Gift
Note: mine had only been aged about a week when I took the photos. Just imagine how much darker and richer this coffee liqueur will be when it reaches its one-month maturation date.
Another simple gift I’ve made is Homemade Vanilla, but you need to allot 6 months for the best flavor development.
- To make this Homemade Kahlua, you need a large pot to combine the sugar, freshly ground coffee beans and water. After it comes to a boil, remove from heat and add vanilla beans, vodka and brandy.
- Next is the waiting game. Pour into a large container with a lid and be patient. I give it a swirl every few days and in four weeks, your Homemade Kahlua is ready to strain.
- Be sure to use cheesecloth to strain as you want every bit of the coffee grounds removed.
- Decant into individual bottles, each with a half a vanilla bean, to give as gifts. Add a cute label tied on with raffia plus a recipe for a delicious cocktail!
I have more ideas for Gifts From the Kitchen from some blogger friends. Perfect for holiday gifts, hostess gifts, or even something you might want to make for yourself!
More Homemade Holiday Gifts!
All-in-One Beer Bread Kit – girlichef
Homemade Vanilla Extract – Flour on my Face
Homemade Cherry Extract – Cravings of a Lunatic
Maple Nut Granola – Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Maple Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars – Cupcakes and Kale Chips
Turtle Pretzels – The Messy Baker
M&M Cookies in a Jar – Damn Delicious
Cookie Cutter Fudge – Chocolate Moosey
Holiday Tree Cake – Noshing with the Nolands
Homemade Kahlua – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Another simple gift I’ve made is Homemade Vanilla, but you need to allot 6 months for the best flavor development.Print
A homemade version of the classic coffee liqueur
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 19 cups
- Category: Beverage, Liqueur
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup ground coffee (fresh ground beans are best)
- 16 cups sugar
- 8 cups water
- 4 vanilla beans, split
- 1/2 gallon vodka
- 1 fifth of brandy (750 ml)
- In a large stock pot, stir together coffee, sugar and water. Heat just till it comes to a boil. Turn off heat and add vanilla beans, vodka and brandy. (You may want to let mixture cool a bit before adding liquor to avoid evaporation of the alcohol). Transfer mixture to a glass jar with a lid and let stand for one month to develop flavors.
- After one month, strain mixture through cheesecloth till all the coffee grounds clear. Pour into glass jars and add a piece of vanilla bean to each. Add decorative label or hang tag if desired for gifts.