This delicious, magazine-worthy Apple Topped Baked Brie en Croute is perfect for any gathering. Everyone is going to love this tasty appetizer!
An Apple Baked Brie is wonderful for autumn entertaining. Beautiful as an appetizer or even as part of a cheese course for dessert!
Apple Topped Baked Brie en Croute
I made this impressive apple baked brie years ago for a parents’ gathering when Nick, now in college, was in elementary school. I found the basic idea on the Williams-Sonoma website, added a little cinnamon to the apple, and left them in slices for a prettier presentation. Then I fluted the puff pastry to resemble a beggar’s purse instead of a more traditional, totally enclosed brie en croute.
If you love baked Brie, check out my delicious Raspberry Baked Brie, too!
How to Make Baked Brie
I included a photo of the prebaked brie…so you can see how I folded the pastry. I used some baking twine to hold it together as I wanted to make sure the melted brie stayed encased in the shell.
You can also wrap the Brie in a more traditional manner. Place the Brie on a sheet of defrosted puff pastry, slice off the top rind if desired, add the toppings and fold the puff pastry over the top of the Brie. Trim the excess and use some egg wash as glue.
My facebook friends went nuts when I shared the top Instagram photo…this would be perfect for any holiday gathering…and quite a show stopper!
Tip of the day: You’ll get the best “puff” if your puff pastry is COLD and the oven is HOT. If your pastry gets warm/soft from handling it, just pop it in the fridge to chill it before baking.
You may need these supplies to make the baked brie recipe:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 8-ounce round Brie, cold
- 10-inch round of puff pastry dough
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Food safe twine, optional
- Crackers, for serving
- Melt butter in saute pan. Add the apples and cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples are almost tender. Add the sugar, cinnamon and cardamom, and cook till sugar is dissolved. Allow apples to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry round to 1/4 inch surface (mine was pretty much there right out of the package). Cut the cheese in half horizontally...and place one half, cut side up on the middle of the puff pastry. Top with half the apples. Set the other half, cut side down, over the apples and arrange the remaining apples in a decorative spiral on top.
- Fold and pleat the dough up the sides of the cheese. Secure with a piece of twine if needed. You may also fold puff pastry over top of cheese if desired. Mix egg and water and brush egg wash over pastry surface.
- Bake till pastry is golden, about 40-45 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before removing to serving dish. Serve with crackers.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 74mg Sodium: 439mg Carbohydrates: 38g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g