I made a batch of this Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad for a recent bridal shower. Piled on mini croissants with a lettuce leaf, it was the perfect luncheon entree.
Cranberry Pecan Chicken Salad for a Crowd
I took my Fruity Chicken Salad and gave it a simple facelift, swapping out dried cherries for Craisins and grapes for chopped apples. I purchased some mini croissants for a dainty sandwich and added these to our luncheon buffet. Seeing Chelsea’s Messy Apron’s recipe for Sriracha Tuna Salad Wraps reminded me that old classics can be jazzed up and be even better than the original!
My Secret Ingredient
I grew up eating tuna salad sandwiches made simply with canned tuna, mayo, and diced celery. It was only decades later that I found that cutting the mayonnaise with some sour cream kicked my tuna up a couple of notches.
Plus I started adding capers, pickles, a little lemon juice, and even fresh dill. Next came chicken salad, which also benefited from some sour cream.
Dried fruits, nuts, and diced Granny Smith apples provided some crunch, sweetness, and depth of flavor. No matter what you choose to add, I think you’ll become an instant fan of this cranberry pecan chicken salad!
Tip of the Day: Utilize your slow cooker and make Crockpot Chicken Breasts, a hands-off method of cooking the chicken for this recipe.
More Sandwich Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cuban Sandwiches (Cubanos) from The Food Charlatan
- Tuna Cranberry Pecan Salad Sandwich
- Monte Cristo Sandwich from She Wears Many Hats
- Pressed Brick Sandwich
- Reuben Sandwich Sliders from Spend with Pennies
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped apple (I used Granny Smith)
- 1 cup Craisins (dried cranberries)
- 3/4 cups chopped pecans (toast first for the best flavor)
- 3- 3 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked, cooled and chopped
- Whisk together, the mayonnaise, sour cream, salt, pepper and lemon juice (use the smaller amount of salt and lemon juice to start).
- Stir in chicken, celery, apples, and Craisins. Taste for seasonings and add more salt and lemon juice if needed. Refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors meld.
- Serve as a salad over a crisp lettuce leaf or as a sandwich on a bun or croissant.
Servings depend on the size of your rolls or croissants and what else is being served at your brunch, picnic or luncheon.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 99mg Sodium: 611mg Carbohydrates: 11g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 32g