This Classic Apple Crisp has been in my repertoire for decades. Simply made of apples tossed in spiced sugar with a crumbly streusel topping, it’s a family favorite.
I’ve made this same apple crisp recipe for years and years. Then I started playing around with different fruit and it’s wonderful with peaches or even a mixture of berries! Just remember to serve it with a scoop of ice cream!
Classic Apple Crisp Recipe
This classic apple crisp recipe came from my mom’s dear friend, Dee McConnell. Dee was one of the gourmet influences in my mother’s life. She was the friend who subscribed to Bon Appetit back in the ’70’s and always has something marvelous to share whether via their CFM reunions, bridge club or ladies luncheons.
My mom’s recipe box was full of cards in her friends’ scroll, including this family favorite – an apple crisp without oats. Dee’s other memorable contributions to our family’s menu included egg rolls and wontons and the strawberry pie dessert she wowed us with at my bridal shower.
- Boozy Baked French Toast from Brunch with Joy
- Orange & Date Wife Saver Breakfast Casserole from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Spinach, Sausage and Polenta Breakfast Casserole from The Redhead Baker
Appetizing Casserole Sides
- Baked Cauli-Tots Casserole from Cupcake and Kale Chips
- Savory Sweet Potato and Sausage Bread Pudding from Nik Snacks
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Casserole from Take A Bite Out of Boca
Main Event Casseroles
- Artichoke and Spinach Macaroni and Cheese Casserole from Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Penne with Roasted Cauliflower and Italian Sausage from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bison Meatloaf Casserole from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cheesy Chicken Corkscrew Casserole from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Cheesy, Creamy, Cauliflower and Sausage Casserole from Eating In Instead
- Chicken Enchiladas from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Parmesan Quinoa Bake from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chicken Ramen Mini Casseroles from The Ninja Baker
- Chicken with Whole Grains Casserole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chinese Noodle Casserole from Momma’s Meals
- Crab Casserole for Two from Magnolia Days
- Homemade Poppy Seed Chicken from Food Done Light
- Fully Loaded Tater Tot Casserole from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- King Ranch Casserole from The Texan New Yorker
- King Ranch Mac and Cheese from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Ziti with Meatballs from Curious Cuisiniere
- Mexican Lasagna from MealDiva
- Mom’s Taco Casserole from Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Moroccan Polenta Casserole from Pancake Warriors
- Moussaka from Nosh My Way
- Neeps & Tatties Casserole from Happy Baking Days
- Sausage Peppers and Onion Pasta Casserole from Family Foodie
- Southwestern Spaghetti Pie from The Messy Baker
- Cheesy, Layered Italian Pasta Torta from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Stove-top Four Cheese Mac and Cheese from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Supreme Pizza Strata from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet Corn and Green Chile Chicken Tamale Pie from Simply Healthy Family
- Taco Casserole from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Decadent Dessert and Sweet Casseroles
- Baked Lemon Dessert from Food Lust People Love
- The Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls from Pies and Plots
- Butterscotch Bread Pudding from The Foodie Army Wife
- Classic Apple Crisp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ultimate Deep Dish Brownies from Recipe for Perfection
- Vegan Oreo Rice Krispie Treats from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Classic Apple Crisp #SundaySupper
A Classic Apple Crisp with a streusel topping
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- 6-8 sliced and peeled apples (I use two or 3 different varieties)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few grates of fresh nutmeg, optional
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- Gently mix the sliced apples with sugar and spices. Put in a 9 x 9 baking pan or equivalent casserole dish. In another bowl, cut together the topping ingredients with a pastry blender. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake 35-45 minutes till topping is golden and filling is bubbly. Poke a sharp knife into several apples to make sure they’re soft. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or salted caramel gelato.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.