It’s no secret that I love apple desserts. Pies, crisps, tarts, strudels. I do not discriminate. For a quick fix, these Apple Brownies AKA Apple Blondies cannot be rivaled.
Chock full of fruit and spiced with cinnamon, these apple bars are irresistible and a divine way to celebrate autumn.
Cinnamon Apple Brownies (or Blondies)
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is apples, and this old favorite recipe for Cinnamon Apple Brownies came to mind. I needed a snack to bring to my knitting group this past Friday. Apple pie wasn’t going to cut it. I needed something portable. Finger food to be exact.
I remembered this old recipe for apple brownies, which are actually more like apple blondies since there’s no chocolate involved. It took some hunting through my scads of brownie recipes until I finally located the sheet of paper I’d printed off in 2003. If you haven’t made blondies before, check out this fabulous roundup of over 100 Blondie Recipes.
Tips for Making Cinnamon Apple Brownies
These apple brownies come together quick as a wink. The most time consuming step is peeling and chopping two apples.
- Use two different baking apples to give your bar a lovely depth of flavor. The rest is just dumping and mixing. Within an hour, your house will be filled with the incredible aroma of baking apples and cinnamon.
- Make sure not to add too many apples or your bars could become too moist. I’m always tempted to add a few more.
- Since baking powder isn’t used as frequently as baking soda, it often expires and loses it’s leavening capabilities as it sits in your pantry. Check the expiration date before making these blondies.
- To test your baking powder, put a teaspoon in 1/3 cup of hot water. If it bubbles vigorously, it’s good to go!
The results are a moist bar cookie with chunks of apple and underlying caramel flavor from the brown sugar. Scroll down to see all the magnificent options for your autumn apple harvest.I’m certain you’ll find something you must make.
More Bar Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Turtle Shortbread Bars from Pint Sized Baker
- How to Cut Perfect Cookie Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Nutella Swirl Bars from Dinners Dishes & Desserts
- Best Lemon Bars Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whoppers Snack Bars from Inside BruCrew Life
Used in This Recipe:
- 8 x 8-inch Square Cake Pan
- Non-StickFoil (a great alternative to buttering the pan and the foil makes an excellent sling for removal)
- OXO Non-Slip Cutting Board
- Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Santoku Knife (wonderful for chopping apples)
- OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler (my go-to peeler for apples, potatoes, carrots, etc.)
Autumn Apple Recipes:
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Apple Brownies AKA Apple Blondies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Appel Pear Kuchen (Apfel Birnenkichen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel – Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Pound Cake- Damn Delicious
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Chai Spiced Apple Pull-Apart Bread- Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Pie American w/ Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Caramel Apple Capirotada La Cocina de Leslie
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Muffins- Basic N Delicious
- Spiced Apple Ale Small Wallet Big Appetite
Apple Brownies AKA Apple Blondies
A blondie chock full of apples and spiced with cinnamon.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 bars
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2-2 large apples, peeled and chopped into small bite-sized chunks (use two different varieties. I used a Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter 8 x 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, then mix in egg. Add dry ingredients, then stir in apples.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake till toothpick inserted in center of brownies comes out clean and apples are tender. Times vary from 20-45 minutes depending on size of apple chunks and variety used.