It’s no secret that I love apple desserts. Pies, crisps, tarts, strudels. I do not discriminate. For a quick fix, these Apple Brownies AKA Apple Blondies cannot be rivaled.
Chock full of fruit and spiced with cinnamon, these apple bars are irresistible and a divine way to celebrate autumn.
Cinnamon Apple Brownies (or Blondies)
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is apples, and this old favorite recipe for Cinnamon Apple Brownies came to mind. I needed a snack to bring to my knitting group this past Friday. Apple pie wasn’t going to cut it. I needed something portable. Finger food to be exact.
I remembered this old recipe for apple brownies, which are actually more like apple blondies since there’s no chocolate involved. It took some hunting through my scads of brownie recipes until I finally located the sheet of paper I’d printed off in 2003. If you haven’t made blondies before, check out this fabulous roundup of over 100 Blondie Recipes.
Tips for Making Cinnamon Apple Brownies
These apple brownies come together quick as a wink. The most time consuming step is peeling and chopping two apples.
- Use two different baking apples to give your bar a lovely depth of flavor. The rest is just dumping and mixing. Within an hour, your house will be filled with the incredible aroma of baking apples and cinnamon.
- Make sure not to add too many apples or your bars could become too moist. I’m always tempted to add a few more.
- Since baking powder isn’t used as frequently as baking soda, it often expires and loses it’s leavening capabilities as it sits in your pantry. Check the expiration date before making these apple blondies.
- To test your baking powder, put a teaspoon in 1/3 cup of hot water. If it bubbles vigorously, it’s good to go!
The results are a moist bar cookie with chunks of apple and underlying caramel flavor from the brown sugar. They are impossible to resist!!
More Bar Cookie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Turtle Shortbread Bars from Pint Sized Baker
- Whoppers Snack Bars from Inside BruCrew Life
- How to Cut Perfect Cookie Bars
- Homemade Samoa Bars
- Best Lemon Bars Recipe
- Toffee Brownies
- Caramel Apple Toffee Bars
- More Delicious Bar Cookies
Used in This Recipe:
- 8 x 8-inch Square Cake Pan
- Non-StickFoil (a great alternative to buttering the pan and the foil makes an excellent sling for removal)
- OXO Non-Slip Cutting Board
- Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Santoku Knife (wonderful for chopping apples)
- OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler (my go-to peeler for apples, potatoes, carrots, etc.)
Apple Brownies AKA Apple Blondies
A blondie chock full of apples and spiced with cinnamon.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 9 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2–2 large apples, peeled and chopped into small bite-sized chunks (use two different varieties. I used a Granny Smith and a Golden Delicious)
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter 8 x 8 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, then mix in egg. Add dry ingredients, then stir in apples.
- Spread into prepared pan and bake till toothpick inserted in center of brownies comes out clean and apples are tender. Times vary from 20-45 minutes depending on size of apple chunks and variety used.