Try this Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp with Oatmeal when you need a quick and delectable dessert! Your kitchen will be filled with the most amazing aroma while it’s cooking!
Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp
I hardly ever use my slow cooker, especially when it comes to dessert. There are some amazing crock pot desserts out there, but I needed to get on the bandwagon. This Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp with Oatmeal reminded me of how quick and painless baking a dish in a crock pot can be!
Bill would prefer there was not oatmeal in the topping, but it helps maintain the structure of the topping during the 4 hour cooking time. I, on the other hand, love an oat streusel on a crisp. Sometimes I win these battles, though my husband would insist I win more than I lose. A cook’s prerogative!
How to Make an Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crisp with Oatmeal
This is definitely a no-brainer recipe. The most difficult part is peeling and slicing the apples. You just add them to the crockpot, mix up the dry topping ingredients then work in the butter using a pastry blender or your fingers (messy, but works wonderfully!). Cook on low for 4 hours and you’ll have a hot, cinnamon spiced slow cooker apple crisp for dessert!
A Few Tips for how to make apple crisp:
- Use apples that will keep their shape when cooking, like Granny Smiths. Even these will lose most of their firmness–a common result of cooking apples in a slow cooker. The consistency of the end result resembles chunky applesauce.
- PRO-Tip: Don’t forget to put a double layer of paper towels between the lid and crock pot. As the crisp cooks and steam is produced, the paper towels absorb the steam instead of letting it condense and drip onto the topping.
- And my favorite tip: Top your warm slow cooker apple crisp with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream that softens from the heat of the dessert. Heavenly.
More Slow Cooker Desserts You’ll Love:
- Slow Cooker Peach Cobbler Recipe from A Spicy Perspective
- Slow Cooker Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting from Mom on Timeout
- Gooey Slow Cooker Caramel Blondies from Taste and Tell
- 30 Slow Cooker Recipes
- Fall Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Apple Pecan Bread Pudding
- Crockpot Apple Monkey Bread
- Slow Cooker Brownie Dessert
- You’ll also love these Meringue Cookies!
- More Best Desserts
Used in This Recipe:
- Cuisinart 6-Quart Crock-Pot
- OXO Dough Blender and Cutter (though using your fingers is an easy substitute)
- OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
- Nutmeg Grater (you can also use a kitchen rasp or any fine grater)
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 2/3 cup oatmeal (not quick oats)
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few grates of fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
Add and arrange the sliced apples in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Mix together the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cut in the butter to make crumbs using a pastry blender or your fingers.
Crumble the oatmeal mixture over the apples.
Place a double layer of paper towels over the top of the slow cooker to absorb any condensation, then top with the lid. Cook on low for 4 hours.
Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 381 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 9mg Carbohydrates: 56g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 32g Protein: 4g