Apple Monkey Bread is a delicious sweet treat, made easily in a slow cooker. This super easy monkey bread recipe is made with store-bought biscuits!
Apple Monkey Bread
My family goes nuts for monkey bread or bubble rolls as we call them. Who doesn’t love gooey breakfast breads, especially when they’re spiced with cinnamon and studded with diced apples??? And what’s most amazing is that this Apple Monkey Bread is made in a slow cooker or crockpot. Two and a half hours of hands off cooking. Doesn’t that sound perfect?
These didn’t puff up as much as I expected, but for a minimal fuss recipe, made with canned biscuits, they are excellent. For all that I bake, I rarely eat more than a nibble. But see that plate up there? That was for quality control and I made every morsel disappear quickly.
When my friends, Wendy of Around My Family Table, and Stephanie, of Eat Drink Love, invited me to participate in Crocktoberfest, I had to rack my brain for recipe ideas. Plus, I’ve made a couple stews and pot roasts in my crock pot when I know I have a busy day ahead.
But a breakfast or dessert in a slow cooker seemed like a novel idea worth exploring. This Crock Pot Cinnamon Roll Casserole got my wheels turning and I thought a slow cooker breakfast would be a good excuse to dust off my seldom used kitchen appliance.
I am participating today with a breakfast dish, but be sure to follow the hashtag “Crocktoberfest2013” on facebook, twitter, and instagram for all sorts of wonderful breakfast, main dish and dessert recipes this week. There are 10 recipes to check out today and I think you will love every one of them. My crockpot may find a permanent place on my kitchen counter after this massive influx of marvelous recipes!
- Overnight Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal from Around My Family Table
- Slow Cooker Breakfast Pumpkin Bread Pudding from Cook the Story
- Pumpkin Oatmeal in a Crockpot from Peanut Butter & Peppers
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole from Eat Drink Love
- Crockpot Creamy& Savory Coconut Rice from Curry and Comfort
- Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole from Cookie Monster Cooking
- Slow Cooker Ham & Swiss Fritata from 365 Days of Crockpot
- Sunday Slow Cooker Hashbrown, Ham, & Spinach Casserole from Slender Kitchen
- Overnight Pumpkin Pecan Steel Cut Oatmeal from Kitchen Treaty
A couple of things you may need to make this delicious Apple Monkey Bread recipe:Print
Apple Monkey Bread
An easy, hands off monkey bread recipe filled with diced apples. Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- a few grates of fresh nutmeg or a pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 7 1/2 ounce cans refrigerated biscuits (40 biscuits total)
- 1 1/2 cups diced, peeled cooking apples
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup apple cider
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Spray inside of a 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture in the bottom of the prepared slow cooker. Set the remaining sugar mixture aside.
- Cut each biscuit into quarters. Add biscuits and apples to sugar mixture in the bowl, tossing to coat. Add mixture to slow cooker. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture. In a small bowl stir together butter, apple cider, and vanilla; pour over biscuits.
- Cover and cook on high-heat setting for 2 to 2½ hours or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Turn off slow cooker. Carefully remove lid so that condensation does not drip onto bread. Cover opening of slow cooker with paper towels and place lid on top. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of slow cooker, then move bread to serving platter. Spoon any topping from the cooker onto bread; cool slightly. Serve warm.