I participated in a blogger pot luck for Christy Jordan last month. This delightful blogger and cookbook author had a life changing accident, but thankfully, after a long recuperation, her recovery is on the horizon. Her publicist has kindly provided me with her new release, Come Home to Supper, which is chock full of delicious recipes perfect for the busy mom (or dad) who wants to feed their family with love. Christy’s Southern dishes are truly comfort food…and this tortilla soup is no exception.
I was worried that it was too spicy for the hubby’s tender palate, but with a nice dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of cheddar, he sang its praises. This is such an easy recipe….just dump the ingredients into a big stockpot and cook away. It’s perfect for a weeknight meal…and special enough to serve when you have a crowd coming over to watch a football game. It was piece of cake to throw together. And speaking of cake, you will go nuts for the array of cake recipes…most are twists on Christy’s Classic Chocolate and Chocolate Yellow Cake recipes. I will be baking one up soon.
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: Workman Publishing Company (October 22, 2013)
- Contains: More than 200 deeply satisfying dishes that are budget-conscious, kid-friendly, and quick to make
Doesn’t this sound like a cookbook you’d love on your shelves? Plus the weather is turning and a batch of this Chicken Tortilla Soup simmering on your cooktop would be the perfect dinner on a chilly evening. And now for the best part. You can also have a copy of Come Home to Supper. Just follow the Rafflecopter prompts below! Good luck!!!Print
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Recipe courtesy of Christy Jordan’s Come Home to Supper
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth or 2 bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 can (29 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (11 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or more, if you’d like)
- 2 cups frozen corn or 2 cans (15 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, and/or chopped scallions, for serving
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the tortillas and toppings with 2 cups of water in a
- large stockpot. Place it over medium-high heat and bring it just to a boil. Reduce the heat to
- medium and simmer until the soup is heated through, 30 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears, cut each tortilla into thin strips. Place the strips in the
- pot and cook 10 minutes more.
- Serve the soup in bowls with the desired toppings on the side.