A tasty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe can be eaten year-round! Hearty, healthy, and a little spicy, it’s seasonless!
Perfect in the dead of winter to warm you from head to toes or as part of a Cinco de Mayo menu, this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup will become a family favorite!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
I participated in a blogger pot luck for Christy Jordan last month. This delightful blogger and cookbook author had a life-changing accident, but thankfully, after a long recuperation, her recovery is on the horizon. Her publicist has kindly provided me with her new release, Come Home to Supper (affiliate link), which is chock full of delicious recipes perfect for the busy mom (or dad) who wants to feed their family with love. Christy’s Southern dishes are truly comfort food, and this tortilla soup is no exception.
How to Make Tortilla Soup
I was worried that it was too spicy for the hubby’s tender palate, but with a nice dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of cheddar, he sang its praises. This is such an easy recipe, just dump the ingredients into a big stockpot and cook away.
It’s perfect for a weeknight meal, and special enough to serve when you have a crowd coming over to watch a football game. It was a piece of cake to throw together. When you go to the market to buy the ingredients, get a second set of the canned goods and frozen food to make it again next month!
Besides some of the fresh garnishes, all these ingredients can be safely stored for months. This enables you to make this easy chicken tortilla soup any day you’re in the mood!
- Chicken broth (canned)
- Crushed tomatoes (canned)
- Red enchilada sauce (canned)
- Chopped green chiles (canned)
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Dried cilantro leaves
- Corn (frozen)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Shredded cheese, corn tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, avocados, salsa, and/or chopped scallions, for serving
- Paperback: 320 pages
- Publisher: Workman Publishing Company (October 22, 2013)
- Contains: More than 200 deeply satisfying dishes that are budget-conscious, kid-friendly, and quick to make
Doesn’t this sound like a cookbook you’d love on your shelves? Plus the weather is turning and a batch of this terrific Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe simmering on your cooktop would be the perfect dinner on a chilly evening.
More Soups You’ll Love:
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Jambalaya Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- More of my Best Soup Recipes
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (11 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or more, if you’d like)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, avocados, salsa, and/or chopped scallions, for serving
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the tortillas and toppings with 2 cups of water in a
- large stockpot. Place it over medium-high heat and bring it just to a boil. Reduce the heat to
- medium and simmer until the soup is heated through, 30 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears, cut each tortilla into thin strips. Place the strips in the
- pot and cook 10 minutes more.
- Serve the soup in bowls with the desired toppings on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Christy Jordan's Come Home to Supper
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g