Chicken Tortilla Soup
A tasty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe can be eaten year-round! Hearty, healthy, and a little spicy, it’s seasonless!
Perfect in the dead of winter to warm you from head to toes or as part of a Cinco de Mayo menu, this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup will become a family favorite!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
I participated in a blogger pot luck for Christy Jordan. This delightful blogger and cookbook author had a life-changing accident, but thankfully, after a long recuperation, her recovery is on the horizon. Her publicist has kindly provided me with her new release, Come Home to Supper (affiliate link), which is chock full of delicious recipes perfect for the busy mom (or dad) who wants to feed their family with love. Christy’s Southern dishes truly comfort food, and this easy tortilla soup is no exception.
What is Tortilla Soup?
A tortilla is a Mexican unleavened bread that can be made from wheat or corn flour. According to Wikipedia, tortilla soup is a traditional Mexican soup made of fried corn tortilla pieces, cooked in a broth of tomato, garlic, onion, and chile de árbol and epazote. It can be topped with chiles, avocado, cheese, or sour cream.
How to Make Tortilla Soup
I was worried that it was too spicy for the hubby’s tender palate, but with a nice dollop of sour cream and sprinkling of cheddar, he sang its praises. This is such an easy recipe, just dump the ingredients into a big stockpot and cook away.
Corn tortillas are cut into strips, added at the end, and simmered in the soup for 10 minutes. Personally, I like frying up these strips to make them crispy and using them for a garnish instead of adding them to the soup. Either option works well!
This tortilla soup recipe makes a perfect weeknight meal, yet it’s special enough to serve when you have a crowd coming over to watch a football game. It’s piece of cake to throw together. When you go to the market to buy the ingredients, get a second set of canned goods and frozen corn to make it again next month!
What You Need to Make a Tortilla Soup Recipe:
Besides some of the fresh garnishes, all these ingredients can be safely stored for months. This enables you to make this easy chicken tortilla soup any day you’re in the mood!
- Chicken broth (canned)
- Crushed tomatoes (canned)
- Red enchilada sauce (canned)
- Chopped green chiles (canned)
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- Dried cilantro leaves (I often use a tablespoon of fresh, finely chopped cilantro) as the dried doesn’t have the same punch of flavor.
- Chicken, fresh, rotisserie or even simple leftover roasted or grilled chicken (not marinated or strongly seasoned)
- Corn (frozen), though fresh corn off the cob would be wonderful
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Shredded cheese, corn tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, avocados, salsa, and/or chopped scallions, for serving
What to Serve with Chicken Tortilla Soup
A salad like this Guacamole Salad, Mexican Street Corn Salad, or Gazpacho Salad would be perfect with this Tex-Mex entree, plus Homemade Guacamole and chips and these Mini Margarita Cheesecakes would round out the meal.
How to Store Tortilla Soup
This Easy Tortilla Soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. After that, it can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just let it defrost overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
Can Leftover Chicken Be Used?
Yes, definitely. Rotisserie chicken is an easy alternative, but you can also use leftover grilled or roasted chicken. Just make sure it’s not highly seasoned or sauced as additional flavors could affect the soup’s flavor.
More Soups You’ll Love:
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Chicken Jambalaya Soup
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- More of my Best Soup Recipes
This recipe was first shared in November 2013. Photos and text were updated in 2020.
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (11 ounces) red enchilada sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro leaves
- 1 heaping teaspoon minced garlic or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (or more, if you’d like)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 corn tortillas (6 inches each)
- Shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole, avocados, salsa, and/or chopped scallions, for serving
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the tortillas and toppings with 2 cups of water in a large stockpot.
- Place it over medium-high heat and bring it just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the soup is heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Using a pizza cutter or kitchen shears, cut each tortilla into thin strips. Place the strips in the pot and cook 10 minutes more. Or place them on a sheet pan and bake until crisp.
- Serve the soup in bowls with the desired toppings on the side.
Recipe courtesy of Christy Jordan's Come Home to Supper
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 108mgSodium: 466mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 40g