These crazy delicious Caramel Butter Bars are a heavenly treat that are a cinch to make! You MUST think up an excuse to bake up a batch!
Layered with streusel and caramel over a shortbread crust, these buttery bars will thrill the caramel lovers in your life. And they may convert some who aren’t!
Caramel Butter Bars
I am a caramel purest, so I wasn’t sure what to think when a jar of Stonewall Kitchen’s Vanilla Chai Caramel Sauce arrived at my door. It tasted of subtle warm spices. Much like chai tea!
I wondered how the flavor would come through baked in a butter streusel bar. Turns out these caramel butter bars were phenomenal.
A Simple Caramel Cookie Bar
These caramel cookie bars are about the simplest dessert recipe you can make. The same dough is used to make the crust and to crumble over the caramel. Easy peasy. And with a yummy jarred caramel sauce as the filling, there is no messing with a candy thermometer or unwrapping squares of premade caramels.
Since school is back in session, along with carpooling and sports, everyone needs a recipe that doesn’t take oodles of time or numerous ingredients to throw together. These will thrill any caramel fans in your family…heck, they will thrill anyone you know with a sweet tooth!
Caramel Butter Bars
Simple flavors with delicious results!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 16 bars
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup premium jarred caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars till creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Add the flour into the butter mixture and mix on low till well combined.
- Line a 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick foil (or regular foil, then spray with cooking spray).Press one-third of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust. Put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator while crust is baking.
- Bake crust until slightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over crust and let sit for a few minutes before using an offset spatula to carefully spread over the surface.
- Crumble the reserved dough over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbly and the crumbled shortbread topping is firm and lightly golden, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Place in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process if desired.
If you love this recipe, you’ll want to check out my super easy Microwave Caramel Sauce. It’s been life changing!
The Giveaway (closed)
If you’re familiar with Stonewall Kitchen, you’ll know they’re a purveyor of fine, gourmet food products. You really cannot go wrong with any of their specialty foods. And for all you Stonewall Kitchen fans, you have a chance to win the three new items from their latest product launch: this Vanilla Chai Caramel Sauce , Cilantro Lime Aioli, and their Sweet Dill Relish. You must have a US mailing address to enter.