These crazy delicious Caramel Butter Bars are a heavenly treat that are a cinch to make! You MUST think up an excuse to bake up a batch!
Layered with streusel and caramel over a shortbread crust, these buttery bars will thrill the caramel lovers in your life. And they may convert some who aren’t!
Caramel Butter Bars
I am a caramel purest, so I wasn’t sure what to think when a jar of Stonewall Kitchen’s Vanilla Chai Caramel Sauce arrived at my door. It tasted of subtle warm spices. Much like chai tea!
I wondered how the flavor would come through baked in a buttery streusel bar. Turns out these caramel butter bars were phenomenal.
Tips for Making These Irresistible Caramel Bars
These caramel cookie bars are about the simplest dessert recipe you can make. If you love caramel, these caramel butter bars are a must-make!
- The same dough is used to make the crust and to crumble over the caramel. Easy peasy. These gems can be made using just one bowl!
- If you really want to be precise, you can weigh out the dough so it can be accurately divided into one third for the crust and 2/3 for the topping, but I just estimated.
- And with a yummy jarred caramel sauce as the filling, there is no messing with a candy thermometer or unwrapping squares of premade caramels. You definitely don’t have to hunt down a specialty caramel sauce. But I do recommend using a premium brand for the best results.
- To find a premium brand of caramel, check the ingredients on the label for butter, cream, vanilla. You want real ingredients for the best caramel flavor!
Since school is back in session, along with carpooling and sports, everyone needs a recipe that doesn’t take oodles of time or numerous ingredients to throw together. These will thrill any caramel fans in your family…heck, they will thrill anyone you know with a sweet tooth!
I’ve always had a soft spot when it comes to caramel desserts, whether it’s the Homemade Caramels I make for the holidays or Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars with a layer of gooey caramel. I’ve also made Chocolate Chip Caramel Butter Bars that are also outrageously delicious!
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup premium jarred caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 325°
- In a large bowl, combine the butter and sugars. Using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugars till creamy. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Add the flour into the butter mixture and mix on low till well combined.
- Line a 8 x 8-inch pan with non-stick foil (or regular foil, then spray with cooking spray).Press one-third of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust. Put the rest of the dough in the refrigerator while crust is baking.
- Bake crust until slightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over crust and let sit for a few minutes before using an offset spatula to carefully spread over the surface.
- Crumble the reserved dough over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake until the filling is bubbly and the crumbled shortbread topping is firm and lightly golden, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into squares. Place in the refrigerator to speed up the cooling process if desired.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 127mg Carbohydrates: 29g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 17g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g