Early in my blogging days, I came across a new cookie bar craze. Brookies were created by layering chocolate chip cookie dough over brownie batter for a sure to please dessert!
When two popular desserts combine and collide, it makes for an outrageously decadent family friendly dessert. Perfect for those times you can’t decide between brownies and chocolate chip cookies!
Layered Chocolate Chip Brookies
By now, my loyal fans know that my family loves chocolate chip cookies. If there is one dessert I’ve made more than any other, it’s those chewy classic cookies packed with chocolate chips, chunks or discs. I had the recipe on the back of Nestle’s chocolate chips memorized within a few months of being married, but I still test nearly all the new chocolate chip cookie recipes I come across.
Brookies: Mashup Between Brownies and Chocolate Chip Cookies
For ordinary occasions, a batch of brownies or chocolate chip cookie bars will always do. But when trying to come up with a weekday dessert last week, I thought back to those Brookies, the decadent double decker dessert bars, and thought they needed to be revived. In 2010, my blog posts were rather pitiful and my children don’t even remember me making these bars.
How to Make Brookies:
After 5 years without making Brookies, this egregious omission had to be remedied immediately.
- I went to work making a one bowl brownie recipe, spread it evenly in a prepared 9 x 13 pan. Use an offset spatula to help spread the batter evenly.
- The brownie batter was followed by a layer of that old faithful, Nestles’ Tollhouse cookie dough.
- Baked until browned, the insides remained soft and gooey at 30 minutes. It’s as easy as that!
- My kids love to gently warm up slices in the microwave to remelt the chocolate chips.
Bill was so thrilled he got a look of panic in his eyes when I told our oldest he could take a few home with him. If you’d like your bars fully set, go ahead and bake for another 5 minutes. But coming from a gal who would rather eat cookie dough than cookies, I love mine slightly under baked! For another dessert mashup, check out these Cheesecake Swirl Brownies!
Brookies, Two Desserts in One
Brownies + Chocolate Chip Cookies = Brookies!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 leggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For chocolate chip dough:
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spoon onto top of brownie batter. Spread carefully to cover batter.
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam. Preheat oven to 375º.
- Sift together flour, salt, and cocoa powder; set aside.
- Gently melt chocolate and butter in microwave. Mix both sugars into chocolate mixture. Cool to room temperature.
- Add eggs to chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined. Add vanilla and stir just to combine. Add flour mixture over chocolate mixture and gently fold flour mixture into chocolate mixture till just combined.
- Spread evenly in bottom of prepared pan.
- Make chocolate chip cookie dough. With a wooden spoon, mix together butter and sugars till creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, then vanilla and mix till incorporated. Stir in baking soda, salt then flour. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Drop spoonfuls over brownie batter and spread carefully with offset spatula. Smooth surface, then bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on rack, then cut into bars to serve.