Did you know October is National Pizza Month??? A whole 31 days to indulge! But today, I’m shaking things up by baking an Apple Pie Pizza instead of the usual savory cheese topped variety. This post is sponsored by Gallo Family Vineyards. See below for details.
Apple Pie Pizza
Dessert pizzas are nothing new, from the fruit numbers made with a cookie dough crust, cream cheese filling and fruit topping to those pizzeria offerings with a bread base and canned pie filling. My kids loved the latter, a frequent treat at their grade school parties. Me? I’d rather make mine at home with a real, buttery pastry crust, sliced apples tossed in warm autumn spices and a streusel topping. You’re drooling, right? The picky hubby has eschewed any oatmeal topping for all the decades I’ve known him. But the cinnamony, apple aroma wafting through my kitchen somehow changed his tune. He even had a before-dinner slice. Well, it is pizza, isn’t it??? And not everyone drinks beer with their pizza. I happen to prefer wine. And Gallo Family Vineyards has you covered.
Wine Pairings with Gallo Family Vineyards
I am a huge fan of Gallo Family Vineyards’ Pinot Grigio and it paired delightfully with this apple pie pizza. This crisp varietal features green apple, white peach and citrus notes which make it perfect to serve with fresh salads, rich seafood, grilled poultry along with acidic foods like tomatoes and lemon. But truthfully, I love drinking this Pinot Grigio with absolutely everything!
When it’s time to select a red wine, I gravitate towards Gallo’s Pinot Noir. With its subtle cherry and sweet fruit flavors, it tastes delicious with meaty fish like salmon, roast chicken and mushrooms. Not too heavy with slightly earthy flavors, it’s excellent to sip on throughout your meal.
Please check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ Blog Post for National Pizza Month.
Info on Gallo Family Vineyards’ Pinot Grigio.
Info on Gallo Family Vineyards’ Pinot Noir.
To find Gallo wines near you, use this handy dandy Store Locator.
Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ Website.
More Pizza Recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemakers:
- Apple Pie Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Pizza by Desserts Required
- Peach Maple Mascarpone Dessert Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Apricot Chicken Brie Flatbread Pizza by Feed Me, Seymour
- Autumn Sausage & Sweet Potato Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Balsamic Steak and Arugula Pizza by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Chicken Parmesan Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Chorizo and Roasted Pepper Pizza with Arugula by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Flammkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Fig + Prosciutto Pizza by An Appealing Plan
- Jalapeño Popper White Pizza by Food Done Light
- Meat Lover’s Skillet Pizza by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pasta Pizza Pie by Alida’s Kitchen
- Pizza Bagels by Recipe for Perfection
- Portuguese Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Roasted Butternut Squash, Prosciutto and Goat Cheese Pesto Pizza by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Corn Pizza by Brunch with Joy
- Sauerkraut and Meatball Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Sausage and Ricotta Naan Pizza by Casa de Crews
- Thai Chicken Pizza by The Redhead Baker
Also Featured: Simple Tips for Wine Cheese Pairings plus Pizza Recipes #SundaySupper with Gallo Family Vineyards.
Need more ideas for celebrating National Pizza Month? Check out Gallo Family Vineyards’ blog.
- Pastry for a single crust pie
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- 4 baking apples (I used 2 Granny Smiths and 2 Golden Delicious), peeled, cored and sliced into ½-inch slices
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- Caramel sauce, optional, to drizzle over pizza
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Roll out pastry crust to fit a 12-inch pizza pan. Fold edges of pizza under to make a rim around the perimeter.
- In a large bowl, toss the apple slices with sugar, flour, and spices. Arrange over crust in a single layer. Combine the topping ingredients until well mixed and crumbly, and sprinkle over apples.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender when pierced with a knife. Drizzle with caramel and serve warm. Top with ice cream if desired.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.