I have been meaning to make a stomboli since we trekked to Indiana University last fall for a football game against my alma mater. The morning started with sleet…a very bad sign for this gal who hates to be cold. As soon as we parked our car in the stadium parking lot, we met our friends and scurried to the gift shop to buy hats and scarves. My sweet Italian friend brought her world famous stromboli, packed with meats and cheeses. But the scrap of paper with her recipe was buried somewhere in my kitchen, under a year’s worth of print offs, so I went to an old favorite for this week’s tailgate. This pressed brick sandwich was inspired by Martha Stewart…packed full of Mediterranean goodies like roasted peppers, marinated artichokes, salami, prosciutto and Provolone.
The game was delayed for over an hour due to lightning strikes around the stadium. My fingers and toes were so numb that I elected to stay in the car and listen to the game on the radio (I’m certain my college friends are NOT surprised). I think I’ll pass on any November football games this coming season! Today, our Sunday Supper crew is cooking up recipes perfect for any tailgate. I’m hoping to get some inspiration for the bash before kick off. I know you will be thrilled with all the options, too.
- 3 whole roasted red bell peppers (use jarred or roast your own), sliced into 3/4 inch strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf ciabatta
- 1/2 cupblack-olive paste
- 4 ounces fresh goat cheese
- 8 ounces marinated artichoke hearts
- 4 ounces sliced Provolone
- 6 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound Genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 1-2 cups loosely packed mixed fresh herbs (I used flat leaf parsley and basil)
- Combine mustard and vinegar. Gradually whisk in olive oilthen add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Slice loaf of bread horizontally, and remove bready interior. Spread olive paste on the bottom crust, and add the pepper strips. Crumble goat cheese on top of peppers. Arrange artichoke hearts over goat cheese. Drizzle half of the vinaigrette on top. Arrange Provolone slices, then prosciutto and salami over artichoke hearts. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Sprinkle with herbs. Place the top crust on sandwich.
- Wrap the sandwich with plastic wrap and set something heavy like a brick or or cast-iron skillet on top for at least 1 hour. Slice to serve.
Warm Ups (Appetizers):
- Bacon and Onion Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Fajita Dip and Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Corn and Black Bean Dip by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Crab Rangoons by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Double Cheese Dill Scones by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Fried Yucca With Pink Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Grilled Gameday Nachos by Supper for a Steal
- Homemade Potato Chips w/ Blue Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Liptauer Cheese Spread by Magnolia Days
- Mahogany Baked Chicken Wings by The Dinner-Mom
- Mexican Corn Dip by Growing Up Gabel
- Pizza Dip by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Posh Pigs In a Blanket by The Weekend Gourmet
- Pretzel Nuggets by I Run For Wine
- Roasted Garlic & Tomatillo Salsa Verde by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Savory Baked Pinwheel’s by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Stuffed Banana Pepper Bites by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sweet Potato Hummus by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Tortilla Wrapped Hot Dogs by La Cocina de Leslie
- VJ Catch-erole by My Other City By The Bay
Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):
- 1,2,3,4,5 Chinese Spareribs by The Urban Mrs
- Bacon Burger Sliders by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Carrot Slaw by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheerwine BBQ Pulled Pork by Nik Snacks
- Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Quesadillas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chicken, Brie and Apple Turnovers by Shockingly Delicious
- Crockpot Beef on Weck Sliders by Healthy. Delicious.
- Easy Grilled Chicken Caesar Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Chicken Sandwiches by Foxes Love Lemons
- Frito Olé by Home Cooking Memories
- Gomoku Treasure Rice by NinjaBaking.com
- Grilled Fajita Kebabs by CuriousCuisiniere
- Hatch Chile Pimento Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Italian Tuna and Shells Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pressed Brick Sandwich by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pulled Lamb Barbecue Sandwiches by The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Soup by Neighborfood
- Smoky Turkey Burgers by Webicurean
- Snorker and Spicy Slaw Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
- Tandoori BBQ Chicken by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):
- Coconut Funfetti Ice Cream Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Individual Elvis Pies by Treats & Trinkets
- Portuguese Sangria by Family Foodie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.