A twist on the classic Italian appetizer, these Antipasto Skewers are easy to throw together, elegant, and impossible to resist!! Add your favorite Italian meats, cheeses, and more, and prepare for rave reviews!
Italian Appetizer Recipes are always a hit and this finger food is no exception.
Why You Must Make
Heavy hors d’oeuvres was the request from our hostess. I always show up with a dessert as any gathering is an excuse to bake up something new, and I needed a non-labor intensive appetizer.
- Mini kabobs are easy to make but have an elegant appearance.
- There’s no cooking involved. Just pick a theme and find some bite-sized foods that will work, like cheeses, vegetables, herbs, cured meats, olives. Some cooked cheese tortellini would be wonderful!
- Drizzle with a simple vinaigrette or extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of herbs so it looks restaurant-worthy without a lot of work!
A jar of piquillo peppers in my pantry became my inspiration. I started my shopping list for all those ingredients I would place on an antipasto platter. Olives, artichoke hearts, cured meats, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes made the cut. A simple homemade vinaigrette with a spoonful of pesto would tie them all together. A cold appetizer recipe was terrific on a summer’s night.
- Thread some basil leaves or other fresh herbs for color onto the skewers.
- I placed the salty meats near the mild mozzarella balls along with a pop of red on each skewer.
- I used both prosciutto and small rounds of Genoa salami for something salty and savory.
- These are totally customizable according to your preferences. Don’t like artichoke hearts? Leave them off. Want Cheddar cubes instead of Mozzarella? Go for it!
- Check your deli and take inspiration from what’s available.
- I made a quick vinaigrette with sherry vinegar, olive oil, and a dab of Dijon mustard.
- To add some Italian flare, about a teaspoon of basil pesto was whisked in.
- I didn’t want the basil leaves to wilt, so I drizzled the antipasto skewers just before serving.
- And if you have any leftover ingredients, just add them to a bowl of lettuce for a fabulous salad. That’s what I did! Keep these in mind for the next time you need a quick appetizer. They’ll be the hit of the party.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, make sure you leave enough space on the skewer to use as a handle. Arrange the skewers on a tray and pass them or place them on a buffet table.
You can also use a large plate and arrange the skewers like spokes on a bike tire with the handle sides all around the perimeter making them easy to pick up.
You can buy wooden picks or skewers in different lengths. I’ve seen 4, 6, and 12-inch sizes.
The best presentation comes from repeating the same order of ingredients on each skewer. Alternate the colors, too, so that two red ingredients aren’t next to each other. Also, anchor one end with an ingredient that will prevent the others from sliding off the skewer, like a ball or cube of cheese.
On a round plate, arrange them like spokes on a wheel. Have the handle end on the edge of the plate and the pointed ends in the middle. On a rectangular tray, stack the skewers.
You May Also Like:
- Melon, Proscuitto and Mozzarella Skewers from The Comfort of Cooking
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers
- Plus you’ll love this Antipasto Wreath for the holidays!
- Plus More of the Best Appetizer Recipes
- 8 black olives
- 8 green olives
- 1 jar piquillo peppers
- 1 jar artichoke hearts
- 8 ounces small fresh mozzarella balls (sliced in half if large)
- 4 prosciutto slices, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 slices of Genoa salami (small diameter or cut larger slices in half or quarters)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ cup favorite vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- 16 wooden skewers
- Thread tomato, mozzarella, and basil onto each skewer.
- Add a slice of either prosciutto or salami, an artichoke heart or pepper, and an olive.
- Mix pesto into the vinaigrette. Drizzle with vinaigrette before serving.
Alternate colors for the best presentation.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 skewers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 1013mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 13g