A twist on the classic Italian appetizer, these Antipasto Skewers are easy and irresistible!
This Cold Appetizer with an Italian Twist is perfect finger food for any gathering!
Heavy hors d’oeuvres was the request from our hostess. I always show up with a dessert as any gathering is an excuse to bake up something new (stay tuned for my Turtle Poke Cake), and I needed a non-labor intensive appetizer. Antipasto kabobs would work wonderfully!
A jar of piquillo peppers in my pantry became my inspiration. I started my shopping list for all those ingredients I would place on an antipasto platter. Olives, artichoke hearts, cured meats, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes made the cut. A simple homemade vinaigrette with a spoonful of pesto would tie them all together. A cold appetizer recipe was terrific on a summer’s night.
Easy Cold Appetizer
I added some basil leaves for color and threaded the ingredients onto skewers. Placing the salty meats near the mild mozzarella balls was part of my strategy along with a pop of red on each skewer. I used both prosciutto and small rounds of Genoa salami. These are totally customizable according to your preferences. Don’t like artichoke hearts? Leave them off.
Check your deli and take inspiration from what’s available. I made a quick vinaigrette with sherry vinegar, olive oil and a dab of Dijon mustard. To add some Italian flare, about a teaspoon of basil pesto was whisked in. I didn’t want the basil leaves to wilt, so I drizzled the antipasto skewers just before serving.
And if you have any leftover ingredients, just add them to a bowl of lettuce for a fabulous salad. That’s what I did! Keep these in mind for the next time you need a quick appetizer. They’ll be the hit of the party.
More Skewered Appetizers from Blogs I Love:
- Antipasto Skewers from Honey and Birch
- Caprese Potato Skewers from Cookin’ Canuck
- Easy Greek Appetizer Skewers from Recipe Girl
- Melon, Proscuitto and Mozzarella Skewers from The Comfort of Cooking
- 8 black olives
- 8 green olives
- 1 jar piquillo peppers
- 1 jar artichoke hearts
- 8 ounces small fresh mozzarella balls (sliced in half if large)
- 4 prosciutto slices, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 slices of Genoa salami (small diameter or cut larger slices in half or quarters)
- 16 fresh basil leaves
- 16 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup favorite vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- 16 wooden skewers
- Thread tomato, mozzarella, and basil onto each skewer. Add a slice of either prosciutto or salami, an artichoke heart or pepper, and an olive.
- Mix pesto into the vinaigrette. Drizzle with vinaigrette before serving.
Serving Size:2 skewers
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 220 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 39mg Sodium: 1013mg Carbohydrates: 7g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 13g