I fell in love with prosciutto-wrapped melon in Tuscany. These enticing Melon and Prosciutto Skewers with a drizzle of basil oil swept me back to Italy. Wouldn’t they be perfect for your Oscar party?
Melon and Prosciutto Skewers
When I was in my 20’s, my parents spent a couple of summers in Cortona, Italy, in the hills of Tuscany. My mom was teaching a studies abroad course and I took my first trip across the Atlantic.
I saw the sites of Rome, Florence, Venice, and Spoleto, but most vivid were the memories of incredible dishes prepared for the faculty in that quaint walled town. Grilled trout, stuffed zucchini blossoms and my first taste of succulent Italian melon wrapped in paper-thin and salty Prosciutto de Parma.
Prosciutto e Melone
So with the Oscars approaching, I thought back to the spectacular starter AKA Prosciutto e Melone (Italian ham with melon) I first tasted decades ago. I merged that delectable combination with my favorite Caprese salad ingredients and, voila, the perfect appetizer for any gathering. Pair these with some Antipasto Skewers on a big party platter and dazzle your guests while you enjoy the awards show!
More Red Carpet Party Recipes
These appetizers would be marvelous for your red carpet viewing party! Check out all the spectacular recipes below.
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Muenster and Spinach Pinwheels
- White Queso Dip
- Bacon-Wrapped Jalpeno Poppers
- Cheese Straw Tomato Tartlets
- Prosciutto Wrapped Aspargus
- More of the Best Appetizer Recipes
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 small shallot
- 1 small or half a medium cantaloupe, cut into slices, then chunks
- Small fresh mozzarella balls
- Sliced prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise, and folded into ruffle
- Small cherry or grape tomatoes
- Pulse or puree olive oil, basil and shallot in food processor or blender till basil and shallot are finely chopped.
- Alternate one piece of melon, one piece of prosciutto, one mozzarella ball, another prosciutto ruffle, a grape tomato, a third prosciutto ruffle and then one more piece of melon on each skewer.
- Place skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil oil and garnish with sprigs of basil before serving.