I fell in love with prosciutto wrapped melon in Tuscany. These enticing Melon and Prosciutto Skewers with a drizzle of basil oil swept me back to Italy. Wouldn’t they be perfect for your Oscar party?
Melon and Prosciutto Skewers
When I was in my 20’s, my parents spent a couple summers in Cortona, Italy, in the hills of Tuscany. My mom was teaching a studies abroad course and I took my first trip across the Atlantic.
I saw the sites of Rome, Florence, Venice and Spoleto, but most vivid were the memories of incredible dishes prepared for the faculty in that quaint walled town. Grilled trout, stuffed zucchini blossoms and my first taste of succulent Italian melon wrapped in paper thin and salty Prosciutto de Parma.
Prosciutto e Melone
So when the Sunday Supper team chose the red carpet theme this week, I thought back to the spectacular starter AKA Prosciutto e Melone (Italian ham with melon) I first tasted decades ago. I merged that delectable combination with my favorite Caprese salad ingredients and, voila, the perfect appetizer for any gathering. Pair these with some Antipasto Skewers on a big party platter and dazzle your guests!
More Red Carpet Party Recipes
My blogger friends are sharing all sorts of dishes that would be marvelous for your red carpet viewing party! Check out all the spectacular recipes below.
Nominees for Best Supporting Appetizers:
- Beef Sliders with Sautéed Mushrooms, Onions, Bleu Cheese and Bacon by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Oysters Rockfeller by Noshing With The Nolands
- Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp by Casa de Crews
- Raspberry Brie Bites by Love and Confections
- Roasted Red Pepper Pinwheels by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spinach Bites by Shockingly Delicious
- Sweet Chili Chicken Skewers by Nosh My Way
Nominees for Best Course in a Leading Role:
- Bow Ties and Tails Galore by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Indulgent Lobster-Champagne Risotto by The Weekend Gourmet
- Oscar Worthy Cantonese Lobster with Coconut-Ginger Rice by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
Nominees for Best Supporting Sips:
- Blood Orange Rosemary Spritzer by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Cherry Almond Sparklers by Magnolia Days
- Iced Espresso Martini by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mixed Berry Martini by The Messy Baker
- Oscartini by Family Foodie
Nominees for Best Delectable Desserts:
- No-Bake Nutella Cheesecake Shooters by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Sweet and Salty Popcorn Ball Bites by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Tuxedo Cake by The Redhead Baker
Melon and Prosciutto Skewers #SundaySupper
These Italian inspired skewers feature melon, mozzarella, prosciutto and grape tomatoes! Adapted from Bon Appetit.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 skewers 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Cutting
- Cuisine: Italian, Italian American
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 small shallot
- 1 small or half a medium cantaloupe, cut into slices, then chunks
- Small fresh mozzarella balls
- Sliced prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise, and folded into ruffle
- Small cherry or grape tomatoes
- Pulse or puree olive oil, basil and shallot in food processor or blender till basil and shallot are finely chopped.
- Alternate one piece of melon, one piece of prosciutto, one mozzarella ball, another prosciutto ruffle, a grape tomato, a third prosciutto ruffle and then one more piece of melon on each skewer.
- Place skewers on platter. Drizzle with basil oil and garnish with sprigs of basil before serving.