For a healthy summer meal, this Vietnamese Salad is bright with Asian flavors and loaded with crisp, fresh vegetables.
An Asian Salad Recipe is not a dull diet recipe, but instead, an entree focused on light, nutritious ingredients that happen to be delicious!
Why You Must Make
- The Asian-inspired dressing is terrific!!!
- This salad is chock full of delicious vegetables!
- You can eat it as a side salad or add chicken and make it your dinner.
I adore noodle or cabbage salads with soy sauce, sesame oil, and even peanut butter. I was contemplating which type to create when this Saveur recipe for Vietnamese Chicken Salad appeared in my inbox. Loads of shredded veggies and chicken were dressed with lime juice, fish oil, rice wine vinegar, and canola oil. It was intriguing and I knew I had to test it out.
- Kitchen Staples – Garlic, Sugar, Vegetable Oil, Black Pepper
- Jalapenos – minced, wear gloves, especially if you wear contact lenses.
- Red Bell Pepper – julienned
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Fish Sauce – A fermented Asian seasoning made from fish. I use Red Boat brand.
- Lime Juice – freshly squeezed
- Onion – look for a small sweet onion, then cut into thin slices.
- Chicken – shredded. May omit or use sliced beef, salmon or shrimp.
- Napa Cabbage – shredded
- Carrots – julienned
When I gathered with my sisters a few years ago, we made a Vietnamese Noodle Bowl (see recipe link below) with quite similar ingredients. This Vietnamese Chicken Salad is heavier on the veggies and sans noodles. Perfect for my lunches during the week. And I could easily make it my dinner, too, but the picky fellow I live with likes his meat and potatoes, rib-sticking type dinners.
- Using shredded rotisserie chicken or leftovers makes for speedier prep.
- Shake up this Asian Chicken Salad by adding any of your favorite vegetables. You may want to up the bell peppers, or add sugar snap, snow peas, or cucumbers.
- The sky’s the limit. Use leftover slices of rare beef or chunks of roasted salmon instead of chicken. Or omit the chicken altogether. There’s no excuse not to add this healthy entree salad to your menu!
How to Make
- Whisk together salad dressing ingredients.
- Mix in jalapenos and set aside.
- Shred, julienne, and slice all salad ingredients.
- Mix together salad ingredients, toss with the dressing and serve!
Frequently Asked Questions
An Asian salad typically contains these ingredients:
Vegetables like cucumbers, bell peppers, cabbage, edamame, and onions.
Nuts or Seeds like peanuts, almonds, cashews or sesame seeds.
Protein like chicken, beef or shrimp.
Salad Dressing with soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, oil.
The salad ingredients can be prepped ahead of time and the salad dressing can be mixed. But to prevent the cabbage from getting soggy, don’t toss the salad with the dressing until just before serving.
You may Also Like:
- Asian Chicken Cranberry Salad from Reluctant Entertainer
- Vietnamese Noodle Bowl
- Asian Ramen Noodle Salad
- Marinated Vegetable Salad
- Plus, all my Best Salad Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 2 jalapenos, minced or sliced very thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (I used a sweet Vidalia onion)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken, optional
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Chopped mint, for garnish
- Mince or slice jalapenos.
- Add garlic, sugar, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, oil, and onion.
- Mix till sugar dissolves.
- Add shredded chicken, shredded white cabbage, red bell pepper, and carrots.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper, mix and garnish with cilantro and mint if desired.
Adapted from Saveur.
Wear disposable gloves to chop jalapenos.
Omit chicken to make as a side salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 63mgSodium: 1136mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 19g