Chock full of summer vegetables, spicy chicken, cheese and dressed in a lime, cilantro vinaigrette, this Southwestern Chicken Salad will make a healthy meal for the whole family!
A Healthy, Seasonal Southwestern Chicken Salad
I would rather endure scorching 110º temps day after day than have another bitterly cold winter like we experienced in 2014. You should have seen my get ups during the worst of it.
I often sat at the computer donned in layer upon layer of clothing, my Uggs and a scarf. Brrrrrr.
But spring, then summer finally arrived. I ditched my coats, started making frequent visits to my favorite source for fresh produce down the street, created lighter meals, and enjoyed evening walks through the neighborhood with my family. I adore everything to do with summer.
Two Serving Options
I’m a huge fan of an entree salad, utilizing greens like lettuce, arugula or spinach plus the best of the summer veggies and a topping of protein, be it meat, cheese or both. And purchasing seasonal veggies makes this Southwestern Chicken Salad an economical meal. In fact, you may have many of these ingredients right in your own garden.
I was hoping I could convert the hubby with this spectacular recipe, but it was a no-go. I can usually predict these things. He’s a Mr. Meat and Potatoes kind of guy, so I had some flour tortillas available for him to make a manly wrap using my salad ingredients. He was a big fan of his version.
This Week’s Sunday Supper Theme is Family Healthy Fit Lifestyle
I’m joining the Sunday Supper crew, along with AmFam, in encouraging you all to get your family moving, to attempt to eat healthier despite our busy schedules all while staying within our budgets. I love stocking up on sale items, buying loads of chicken breasts when they’re on sale and packing them in family sized portions for my freezer. Hit your farmers’ market for deals on fresh fruits and veggies. Bring your family along and let them help pick out new items to try each week. Having even a small vegetable garden, which the family can all tend to, is another way to introduce new healthy foods into your menus.
I wouldn’t hesitate adding any veggie from my garden to this salad. Freshly picked and steamed green beans or peas would be divine! Besides being economic, tending a garden gets the family outside and off the couch. We always had our children help with digging the shallow trenches, planting the seeds and watering. They were thrilled seeing the first fronds of green peeking through the soil. And they were great little harvesters, too. Keeping active can be fun! This Southwestern Chicken Salad is the perfect excuse to use some of your garden harvest!
Scroll down to check out the other scrumptious healthy recipes for your family we featured this week.Print
Southwestern Chicken Salad
A lovely vegetables salad with a lime cilantro vinaigrette, chicken, cheese and some Tex-Mex heat!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Entree, Salad
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
For spice rub:
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced jalapeno or a pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Salad (these are just suggestions. Use whatever vegetables you’d like):
- 1-2 Romaine lettuce hearts, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, veins removed and sliced or diced
- 2 ears of fresh sweet corn, grilled or steamed, then kernels removed
- 1/2 onion, sliced and grilled, then chopped
- Cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Queso fresco (or cheese of your choice), cut into cubes or crumbled
- Mix salt and spices together in a small bowl. Rub onto chicken breasts, then grill, cool and shred.
- Mix all salad ingredients together in large bowl. In glass jar or measuring cup, mix together dressing ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over salad, mix and serve.
Get Up and Go Power Breakfasts
- Get Up and Go Mocha Breakfast Smoothie by The Foodie Army Wife
- Avocado Tomato and Feta Toast with Poached Eggs by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Peanut Butter Banana Oat Smoothie by The Messy Baker
Salads and Healthy Snacks
- Cherry Kale Panzanella by Jelly Toast
- Watermelon Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Dressing by Runner’s Tales
- Southwestern Chicken Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pantry Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Bars by Magnolia Days
Healthy Fit Lifestyle Dinners
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Summer Salsa by Foxes Love Lemons
- Blueberry Pork Chops by MealDiva
- Individual Grilled Veggie Pizzas by Curious Cuisiniere
- Almond Cashew Chicken by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Quinoa Bowls with Grilled Vegetables and Corn Salsa by Ruffles & Truffles
- Chicken and Mushroom Stuffed Peppers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Chicken and Vegetable Pasta by Momma’s Meals
- Spiced Yogurt Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Chicken Spinach Quinoa and Brown Rice by Family Foodie
- Healthy Coconut Banana Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Popsicles by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Blueberry Quinoa Cobbler by Run DMT
Please check out AmFam’s Website and Social Media sites:
And I encourage you all to follow the Recipes from the Gardens #ChooseDreams Pinterest Board and their Health and Fitness Board.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our#SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here—>Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.