Caprese Salad with Chicken
Caprese Salad with Chicken: The classic Italian tomato, basil and mozzarella salad turned into an entree topped with grilled chicken.
Caprese Salad with Chicken
My herbs were poking their green heads through the garden soil. Purple blossoms donned my chives. I planted my basil, rosemary and dill. And I dreamed of the garden tomatoes I’d see come August. I just could not wait till August, though, to whip up my first Caprese salad of the year. And to make it hubby friendly, I added a simple, grilled chicken breast to make it a meal. Mr. Meat and Potatoes would be rooting around in the cabinets for some peanut butter if I didn’t have a slab o’ meat on his plate, thus the Caprese Salad with Chicken. Some shredded chicken added to the mix would be another marvelous way to eat this salad as an entree.
One of my favorite summer flavors is a juicy garden tomato. American Family insurance has started a #ChooseDreams campaign to encourage families to make healthy food choices and get active. Planting a garden helps with both. Cherry tomatoes can be grown in a big pot on a balcony or patio, so there’s no excuse not to have fresh tomatoes at your disposal by the end of the summer. I have memories of eating warm tomatoes right off the vine from our childhood garden. And radishes directly from the rich, black Iowa soil. If you don’t have space for even a planter, gather your family and head to the local farmers’ market. You will love the amazing produce that will inspire you and your family to eat healthier. I hope a tomato salad will work its way onto your menu before the end of the summer.
- 2 pounds fresh garden tomatoes, chopped (or halved grape or cherry tomatoes in the off season)
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, cubed or small perline mozzarella balls
- I cup diced celery
- 1 cup basil chiffonade (rolled and thinly sliced basil)
- 1-2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste (I used 1 teaspoon)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Seasoning salt
- Olive oil
- Mix tomatoes, mozzarella, celery, basil and garlic in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together salt, pepper and vinegar. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil. Pour dressing over tomato salad and genly toss to combine.
- Season chicken with seasoning salt. Brush grill pan with olive oil and cook, flipping once, till chicken is cooked through.
- Serve chicken with salad on the side.
Inspired by Food Network Magazine
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 735Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 180mgSodium: 985mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 62g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although thatskinnychickcanbake.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Also, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com recommend toppings, which may or may not be listed as optional and nutritional information for these added toppings is not listed. Other factors may change the nutritional information such as when the salt amount is listed “to taste,” it is not calculated into the recipe as the amount will vary. Also, different online calculators can provide different results. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information obtained is accurate.
And for more terrific weekday supper inspiration, check out these posts throughout the week:
- Monday – Summer Squash Pizza by Supper for a Steal
- Tuesday – Tuna, Tomato, Bean and Basil Salad by Shockingly Delicious
- Wednesday – Pesto Pasta Salad by Country Girl In The Village
- Thursday – Caprese Salad with Chicken by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Friday – Caprese Pasta Salad by Alida’s Kitchen
Inspired by American Family Insurance, the Sunday Supper team is bringing you garden fresh recipes all month long. This week’s Weekday Supper meals can be found on their corresponding day on the websites below.