I whipped up this Asian meatballs recipe for my book club. These flavorful Sesame Ginger Meatballs were made with chicken and served with Sriracha for a spicy kick.
Sesame Ginger Meatballs
I have a soft spot when it comes meatballs recipes—whether glazed with jelly and chili sauce or served with spaghetti and a tomato sauce, I am a huge fan. Two years ago, I prepared these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs with Blue Cheese Sauce when I hosted book club. More finger foods can be found on this book club menu.
When I spotted a recipe for Asian meatballs on the Food & Wine website, I knew I would serve them when I hosted again in March. I love any excuse to make meatballs!
With a generous amount of grated fresh ginger, garlic, sesame oil and soy sauce, these sesame ginger meatballs were perfectly seasoned. For those who needed an extra kick, I had a bowl of Sriracha, or an Asian chile sauce for dipping.
Easy, Healthy and Impressive Asian Meatballs
All this meatballs recipe entailed was a bit of chopping, grating, stirring, rolling and baking. Next time I may even saute these sesame ginger meatballs for a bit more color, but nobody seemed to care and baking used minimal oil.
I used ground dark meat chicken for a big more flavor and with just a brushing of oil before baking. These Asian meatballs make for a relatively healthy appetizer. And a darn delicious one, too.
More Meatballs Recipes You’ll Love:
- Swedish Meatballs from The Cookie Rookie
- Easy Italian Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cranberry BBQ Cocktail Meatballs from Wishes and Dishes
- Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pepperoni Meatballs from The Food Charlatan
Sesame Ginger Meatballs
An easy Asian chicken meatball recipe flavored with sesame oil and fresh ginger
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 29 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Chicken
- Cuisine: Asian
- Vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground dark meat chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup minced scallions ( plus extra sliced scallions to garnish, if desired)
- 2 tablespoons peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sriracha sauce, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 450° coat a rimmed baking sheet with a light coating of vegetable oil.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients except the Sriracha sauce. Form 1 1/2 -inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the meatballs with oil and bake for about 14 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- Garnish with scallions if desired. Serve with Sriracha.
Adapted from Food & Wine
Here is a list of my book club’s selections over the past two decades. Hope you find some new reading material! I’d love to hear what you’ve been reading lately or a book you really love.