Peanut Butter Krispie Topped Brownies
Triple the decadence with a batch of these irresistible Peanut Butter Krispie Brownies! This Rice Krispies Recipe has something for everyone!
These Homemade Rice Krispie Treats, also known as Rocky Road Fudge Bars, have three tasty layers: a brownie base, marshmallows, and a topping of chocolate, peanut butter rice krispies!
Why You Must Make
- These Rocky Road Fudge Bars won the Pillsbury Bake-Off in 1972!
- If you’re addicted to the chocolate peanut butter combo, you’ll adore these Crunch Bars.
- The textures in these bars are phenomenal – chewy, creamy, crunchy, and crispy.
After yoga practice this week, a friend asked me if I had ever made bars with the following ingredients: brownies, marshmallows, Rice Krispies, and peanut butter. She described these as utterly decadent, so I whipped up half a batch of these Peanut Butter Krispie Topped Brownies to test them out myself.
She was spot on. I used my Fudgy Chocolate Brownies for this trial run. They were SO good!!!! I could have eaten the chocolate peanut butter Rice Krispie topping with a spoon!
- Kitchen Staples – Butter, Sugar, Flour, Salt
- Semi-sweet Chocolate – Chopped, I used Ghirardelli bars
- Eggs – Have at room temperature for easy incorporation
- Vanilla – Always use real vanilla extract, never artificially flavored.
- Mini-Marshmallows – You will need enough to cover the surface of the brownies
- Peanut Butter – Tested with creamy Jif brand
- Rice Krispies Cereal – I used Kellogg’s brand, but generic brands will also work well
- PRO-Tip: Spray your measuring cup with Pam before measuring out the peanut butter. It will release from the cup much easier this way.
- Also, line your baking pan with non-stick foil to assist in removing any sticky treats from the pan.
- Use an offset spatula to help level the brownie batter and the Rice Krispie topping.
- PRO-Tip: Don’t overbake the brownies. Once you start smelling a lovely aroma wafting from your oven, check to see if they’re done.
- Use a toothpick and insert it in the middle of the brownies. They’re done when no batter is on the toothpick when it’s removed. A few moist crumbs are OK.
- Chill the brownies before cutting to make slicing easier. The marshmallows will be sticky no matter what you do!
But I don’t think anyone will complain about a little chocolate goo on the marshmallow layer after taking their first nibble. I need to hide these babies before I eat them all! These Peanut Butter Krispie Brownies will surely become a new family favorite treat!
Frequently Asked Questions
Topping brownies with a fudgy frosting is one of the most popular toppings but there are many other options like peanut butter, cream cheese, or vanilla buttercream frosting. Don’t forget sprinkles, mini M&Ms or other candies, marshmallows, or this crispy peanut butter chocolate topping.
Chilling the brownies first always makes them easier to slice. But make sure to serve them at room temperature so they aren’t too hard. Using a hot, dry knife is good for slicing through sticky toppings and there are even plastic brownie knives that are supposed to work well.
You May Also Like
- Brownie in a Mug from Savory Experiments
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- Plus, all my Best Brownie Recipes
I first shared this recipe in September 2010. Photos and text were updated in 2021.
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- ½ cup butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2+ cups mini-marshmallows (enough to cover the surface of the brownies)
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 9 x 13-inch pan with greased foil or parchment.
- Melt butter and chocolate until melted in a large microwave-safe bowl. Mix in sugar and allow to cool slightly. Mix in eggs and vanilla until well blended. Add flour and salt and mix till just combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the brownies comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to oven for 2 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack, and cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat another 8 ounces of chocolate, peanut butter, and butter for 30 seconds. Stir and repeat until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Add cereal and fold in gently until the cereal is coated.
- Drop mixture on top of marshmallows. Carefully spread to coat the top of the bars evenly.
- Cool in the fridge for a few hours. Remove from pan using parchment. Score and cut.
May use a brownie box mix that makes enough for a 9 x 13-inch pan. Make and bake as directed, then continue with this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 586Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 281mgCarbohydrates: 71gFiber: 4gSugar: 52gProtein: 10g