If you love the classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter, these Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cookies are right up your alley! Chewy chocolate gems filled with a sweet peanut butter surprise!
Peanut Butter Filled Chocolate Cookies
Every holiday season, I bake up the same cookies: gingersnaps, butterscotch cookies, cherry chocolate chunk cookies, coconut macadamia nut bars, Noel nut balls along with a melange of homemade candies. So it was fun to dig deep into my stack of cookie recipes for some old favorites that haven’t been baked for years. And the peanut butter chocolate combo is always a winner!
I first made these peanut butter filled chocolate cookies when Katie was a wee Girl Scout…and she was in heaven with her first nibble. We had a meeting at our house and cookies had to be on the menu…these were cookie pushers extraordinaire, after all. This is my last cookie for Cookie Week.
Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
I found this recipe on the Martha Stewart website many years ago. With two out of my 3 children being Reese’s fanatics, the chocolate-peanut butter combo is always a winner around here. I sent most of these home with my oldest…and his roommates and their significant others asked him to bring back more cookies when he stopped by later in the week. And Katie had a big grin on her face after the first bite, telling her big brother that they taste just like peanut butter cups. And she’s the one who usually snubs any chocolate cookie, so I consider this a victory!
Here are the other terrific cookies baked up by my blogger friends today:
- Pumpkin Macarons by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pumpkin Cookies by Love and Confections
- Cinnamon-Sugar Crinkle Cookies by i heart eating
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles by 52 Kitchen Adventures
- Ginger Lemon Snaps by Food Lust People Love
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter, shortening, sugar, and 1 cup of the brown sugar for a couple minutes until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing till incorporated. Add vanilla, then gradually add dry ingredients, and mix on low speed until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips by hand. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, stir together peanut butter and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart. Make a thumbprint in the center of each cookie. Fill thumbprint with 1 teaspoon peanut butter mixture. Top with a second scoop of dough (flatten slightly between your palms), and carefully seal edges of dough to cover filling. Roll between palms to gently shape back into a ball.
- Bake until firm, about 12-14 minutes. Cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling.
Total time does not include chilling and cooling times.