A grilled cheese sandwich is pure comfort food, and this Mediterranean Grilled Cheese adds layers of deliciousness to the classic!
Mediterranean Grilled Cheese
A grilled cheese sandwich is the epitome of comfort food. Buttered toast and gooey cheese. Nothing better in my book. I tend to keep my version simple, bread and whatever melty cheese happens to be in the fridge. But for this week’s Sunday Supper, we were challenged to create our own recipe, so I layered some of my favorite ingredients to bring you this Mediterranean Grilled Cheese featuring provolone and prosciutto!
Picky Palate Approved
I brought this beauty into the kitchen after photographing it. Bill asked if it was up for grabs. Sure was. As he got closer. he inquired, “What’s that funny stuff in it?” Yeah, as usual, I got the third degree regarding a new dish. He didn’t even balk at the kalamata olives.
On the other hand, I’m not certain they weren’t surreptitiously removed when I wasn’t looking! But nonetheless, the ol’ ball and chain gave this Mediterranean grilled cheese rave reviews. And so will you!
You may have noticed I served this sandwich with a Sauvignon Blanc. This Sauvignon Blanc is light-bodied with a medium sweetness with the “fruit flavors of honeydew melon, citrus and ripe apple, providing a light and crisp finish.” Food pairing recommendations include “tangy tomato sauce, pesto, seafood dishes or salads.” And might I add grilled cheese?
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes:
Now you must check out all the creative grilled cheese recipes from my friends:
- Apple, Prosciutto and Gruyere Grilled Cheese by Hip Foodie Mom
- Brie, Ham, and Blackberry Grilled Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Caramelized Onion, Mushroom & Arugula Grilled Cheese by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- French Onion Grilled Cheese by Family Foodie
- Funky Monkey Grilled Cheese Sammie by The Messy Baker
- Greek Salad Grilled Cheese by Ruffles & Truffles
- Honey Glazed Peach and Pork Tenderloin Grilled Cheese by Melanie Makes
- Kentucky Hot Brown Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Monte Cristo Grilled Cheese by The Dinner-Mom
- Mushroom Duxelles & Asparagus Grilled Cheese by Foxes Love Lemons
- Parmesan Crusted Baked Grilled Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Roast Beef Horseradish Arugula Grilled Cheese by Shockingly Delicious
- Roasted Red Pepper, Feta, and Olive Grilled Cheese by Neighborfood
Mediterranean Grilled Cheese
A gooey grilled cheese with a Mediterranean twist!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 sandwich 1x
- Category: Entree, Sandwich
- Method: Grill, Saute
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
For each sandwich:
- Butter, at room temperature for easier spreading
- 2 slices bread of choice (I used multigrain)
- 2–3 teaspoons pesto
- 1/2 roasted and peeled red or yellow bell pepper (jarred or roasted and peeled at home)
- 3–4 Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1–2 slices Prosciutto
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Spread a teaspoon or so of pesto on the other side. With butter side down, layer one slice with the bell pepper, olives, prosciutto and the sliced cheese. Spread pesto on unbuttered side of remaining slice and place it pesto side down onto sandwich. Heat grill pan or frying pan and place sandwich butter side down. Cook till bread is brown and toasted, then carefully flip and repeat. Turn temperature of burner down if bread is browning too quickly (before cheese is melted).
Yield: 1 grilled cheese sandwich/ 1 serving
Total time: 10 minutes