Taking my favorite salad ingredients and transforming them into a Caprese Grilled Cheese was a genius move! Melty mozzarella, garden tomatoes and pesto make for a divine sandwich!
Caprese Grilled Cheese for National Grilled Cheese Month!
Did you all know that April is National Grilled Cheese month??? I would be happy to eat this combination of gooey cheese inside of buttery toasted bread every.single.day…what’s not to love? When I saw these tempting sandwiches on my friend Alisha’s gorgeous blog, The Ardent Epicure, I knew I would make them. These tasted marvelous with slices of hothouse tomatoes, so I can only imagine how fabulous they’d be with peak of season garden tomatoes. I used buffalo mozzarella as did Alisha, but any fresh mozz will do. I also added a layer of pesto for an extra oomph of basil.
How to Make an Italian Grilled Cheese Recipe
There is no exact recipe for this Caprese grilled cheese. It’s very adaptable and pretty much foolproof.
You may choose to use garlic butter to amp up the flavor.
Add some prosciutto or any other Italian deli meat for another dimension.
How about subbing some fresh Georgia peaches for the tomatoes? The best peach I ever ate was from a fruit stand in Florence, Italy, many decades ago! What do you think???
- Sliced ciabatta, or bread of choice, 2 slices per sandwich
- Butter, at room temperature
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes, cut into thin slices
- 1-2 balls of buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- Garlic salt
- Basil leaves, about 2-3 per sandwich
- Brush one side of bread per sandwich with butter and place buttered sides down in large sauté pan. Smear pesto on exposed side. Layer each with cheese, then sprinkle well with garlic salt followed by tomato slices and basil. Top each sandwich with a second slice of buttered bread, butter side up.
- Sauté till first side is golden brown, flip and cook till second side is brown and cheese is melted. Serve hot.