These Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies are chock full of chocolate and incredibly tasty! Big, chewy with caramel undertones. Perfection in every bite!
Who doesn’t love a Thick Chocolate Chip Cookie? With dark brown sugar and both chocolate discs and chunks, these Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies are memorable!
Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Nick finished his finals and is officially a junior in college. Home for a long weekend, he eyed the cheesecake bars in the fridge. He is not a fan of cheesecake.
I knew what he was thinking. I.want.chocolate.chip.cookies. So I offered to whip him up a batch. But no ordinary batch. I turned to Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bakery cookbook for inspiration and baked up these extraordinary, jumbo chocolate chip cookies. Large chocolate chip cookies always trump ordinary sized ones!
Tips for Making These Jumbo Chocolate Chip Cookies
- There are a few secret weapons in this recipe. First is using dark brown sugar, giving these cookies a magnificent caramel undertone. PRO-Tip: Did you all know you can make dark brown sugar by adding a tablespoon of molasses to a cup of light brown sugar?
- So the second secret weapon is adding even more molasses…making the already dark brown sugar, ultra dark. Keller called for blackstrap molasses, which is uber dark and bitter, in my opinion. I used mild molasses in its place.
- And the best touch was two kinds of chocolate, chips and chunks for lots of chocolate in every bite. Go ahead and use part bitter-sweet if you prefer that over semi-sweet.
- Make sure to chill the dough as it helps hydrate the starches in the flour.
- This dough was extremely easy to scoop into perfect rounds. If you don’t own a large cookie disher, just divide the dough into 12-14 even pieces and roll each into a ball.
- And, as always, use good quality chocolate and pure vanilla extract.
Today is Nielsen-Massey Vanilla’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Day. Bloggers across the country are using Nielsen-Massey Vanilla in some terrific chocolate chip cookie recipes. Nielsen-Massey Vanilla has been a staple in my baking pantry for over a decade.
I buy the huge 32-ounce container and add a healthy dose to nearly all my cookie recipes. And today, you have a chance to win your own bottle of this liquid gold. Made with only the best Madagascar vanilla beans steeped in bourbon, this is not the vanilla of your childhood. Make sure to use premium vanilla in your batch. P.S. My family also loves these Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies!
This recipe was first shared in May 2014. Photos and text were updated in 2020. The photo above is from the original post.
- 3 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mild molasses
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks (I chopped Ghirardelli bars into 1/4 inch pieces, use chunks only, not crumbs)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate discs or chips
- 12 ounces butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons Nielsen-Massey Vanilla
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the dark brown sugar, molasses and regular sugar.
- Using your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter on medium low speed until it is the consistency of mayonnaise. Add in the sugar mixture and mix for about 3 minutes on medium speed, until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add in the eggs and mix on low speed for only 15-30 seconds.Scrape down the bowl.
- Add in the dry ingredients in 2 additions, mixing on low speed for 15-30 seconds after each, until just combined. Do not overmix. Remove the bowl from the mixer and mix in chocolate by hand. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325º. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a large cookie scoop (mine has a 2 1/2 inch diameter), scoop dough balls and place 4-5 on each baking sheet. Let the dough come to room temperature before baking. Bake 18-20 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet, then remove to cooling rack.
Serving Size:1 large cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 394Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 426mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 2g