Perfect for a picnic, this Greek Farro Salad is full of chewy farro, kalamata olives, tomatoes, feta cheese and more!
Greek Farro Salad
I was lucky enough to spend 3 days in Miami with some of my best blogger buddies. The food highlight of the trip was eating brunch with my dear Sunday Supper friends, Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic, Aly of Cooking in Stilettos, and Shaina of Take a Bite out of Boca.
The ever informed Aly lead us to Michael’s Genuine Food and Drink and we literally swooned over every bite. Shaina and I split a Greek Farro Salad that I immediately wanted to recreate. What better platform than at a picnic organized by my Sunday Supper friends? I took the letter “G” for Greek Farro Salad.
International Picnic Day
If you can boil, chop and whisk, you can make this salad. I cooked the farro in chicken broth, but salted water is perfect, too. Lots of chopped veggies are added: tomatoes (a seeded, beefy garden tomato would be ideal), cucumbers, onion and black olives…along with some crumbled feta cheese. The vinaigrette had a Greek feel with red wine vinegar and lemon juice whisked with olive oil. Some minced fresh oregano provided some additional Mediterranean flair.
Today we are celebrating International Picnic Day by bringing you a basket packed with goodies from A to Z, in the style of the picnic game! Drop by the Sunday Supper Movement to see the whole picnic spread out on our virtual blanket.
The Picnic Game:
I’m going on a picnic and I’m bringing…Asian Chicken Salad from Try Anything Once Culinary
Chicken Muffuletta from Marlene Baird
Double Chocolate Chip Cookie Cups from The Dinner-Mom
Elote from Peaceful Cooking
Fennel Slaw from FoodieTots
Honey Porter Glazed Chicken and Vegetable Skewers from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Italian Pasta Salad from Casa de Crews
Japanese Plum Sushi from NinjaBaking.com
Lemon Yogurt Bundt Cake from In The Kitchen With KP
Molasses Lovers Baked Beans from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Northern Bean Salad with Egg and Prosciutto from Family Foodie
Orzo Salad from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
PICOBLAT from Simply Healthy Family
Quinoa-Stuffed Grape Leaves from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Roasted Fingerlings with Capers and Dill from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Spicy Southern Fried Chicken from Food Lust People Love
Tuscan Bread Salad from Curious Cuisiniere
Ultimate Potato Salad from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Veggie Loaded Sandwiches from Momma’s Meals
Wild Watermelon Sangria from The Weekened Gourmet
Xavier Chicken Dumpling Soup from Nik Snacks
Yogurt Banana Berry Ice Pops from girlichef
Za’atar-Spiced Freekeh and Chickpea Salad from The Sunday Supper Movement
Let’s ALL celebrate International Picnic Day!
What do you like to bring along on a picnic??
More Healthy Salads You’ll Love
- Mediterranean French Lentil Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Healthy Broccoli Salad from Rachel Cooks
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Healthy Pepperoni Pasta Salad Recipe from Well Plated
Greek Farro Salad #PicnicGame
- 1 cup farro, cooked according to package instructions (I cooked in chicken broth) and drained well and cooled slightly
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced, then chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, halved
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4-1/2 cup crumbled French feta
- In a serving bowl, toss together cooked farro with olive oil. Add tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion and olives.
- Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Add to salad and toss. Add feta and gently toss. Allow salad to sit at room temperature for about a half hour to let flavors meld. Adjust seasonings as needed.
Yield: 4 servings
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
oks. The rest of the list can be seen on the Sunday Supper Movement page.
I’m starting a new series of Skinny Tips. How I keep slim is one of my most frequent inquiries. I’ll feature tips on some of my upcoming blog posts.
Tip #16: When dining out, a salad drenched in creamy dressing may not be your best choice. Look for a salad with a vinaigrette and watch out for high fat add ins such a deli meats and cheeses. A better choice is often a grilled protein like salmon or chicken with a side of grilled vegetables.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links at no extra cost to you.