Quinoa one of my favorite salad ingredients. Nutty and chock full of protein, it’s marvelous in this lightly dressed Quinoa Black Bean Salad.
This flavorful salad makes a scrumptious lunch and is ideal for picnics and summer potlucks. I love adding fresh corn to the mix when it’s in season!
Quinoa Black Bean Salad with Lime Cumin Vinaigrette
If I’m making a salad, I love to load it up with my favorite ingredients. This is a terrific quinoa based salad with lots of Tex-Mex influence. Black beans, grape tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, bell peppers are tossed with the quinoa and dressed with a flavorful lime vinaigrette.
What is Quinoa?
- Categorized as an ancient grain, quinoa is actually not a grain but instead the seed of a plant related to spinach. Quinoa was first grown in the Andes region of South America.
- Pronounced Keen-Wah, it’s the only food with a plant origin that contains all nine essential amino acids making it a protein packed pseudo-grain.
- Unrinsed, quinoa has a bitter coating, but most quinoa in the markets have been processed to remove this. Read you label and rinse before using if directed.
- PRO-Tip: Cook in well salted water or broth to get the best flavor. Use one part quinoa to 2 parts liquid, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Fluff and it’s ready for salads and more!
- Quinoa is naturally gluten free. It is a terrific substitute for rice, grains and small pastas in salads.
More Quinoa Recipes You’ll Love
I was introduced to quinoa about the time I started this blog in 2010. In fact it was Dorie Greenspan’s recipe that I tweaked into a Quinoa, Fruit and Nut Salad featuring dried cranberries, apricots and tart cherries along with pepitas, sunflower seeds and cashews.
I love this nifty Instant Pot Quinoa recipe. It makes the process even quicker! Try this Mexican Quinoa Casserole, this Quinoa Jambalaya or this Patriotic Quinoa Fruit Salad. Quinoa is such a tasty, versatile ingredient!
More Salads You’ll Love:
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa (cooked in salted water according to package instructions)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans (15 ounce can, rinsed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed or fresh sweet corn, steamed and cut off the cob
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 pickled jalapeños or 1 fresh jalapeno, minced
- 1-2 avocados, cut into cubes
- 1 package grape tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Cook quinoa using package instructions. Drain and place in large bowl to cool.
- Combine beans with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Add to quinoa along with corn, peppers, avocados, tomatoes and cilantro. Gently toss.
- Make dressing by combining lime juice, salt and cumin. Whisk in oil. Drizzle over salad. Toss to combine. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from Gourmet