Beef is always the top choice for a celebratory meal at our house. To celebrate the week before classes commenced, I pulled this Marinated Grilled Ginger Flank Steak recipe from my archives for a special meal that didn’t break the bank.
Marinated Grilled Ginger Flank Steak
Flank steak is one of my youngest’s favorite entrees. When he was a toddler and would request “steak” for dinner, I didn’t have to pick up pricey filet mignon as flank steak was his steak of choice. Now he has no qualms about ordering rib eyes, filets or New York strips when we’re dining out. Ouch on the pocketbook!
I’d prefer my beef on this scrumptious Grilled Romaine Steak Salad, but I can’t convince the menfolk to change their ways . But you can easily make a restaurant-worthy, yet budget friendly, beef entree at home with only four simple requirements!
Four Musts for this Fabulous Beef
- Number one is simple, you need a grill. My hubby prefers charcoal for those lovely nuances provided by the heat and smoke. But any grill will do.
- Number two is a decent meat thermometer. You can go techy and get one that works with your iphone, like this iGrill2 Complete Master Kit , or go old fashioned with an Instant Read Digital Meat Thermometer. This way you can ensure your meat is not over-cooked or under-cooked. The latter can always be tossed back on the grill, but overcooked beef cannot be remedied.
- Number 3 is buying Certified Angus Beef Brand beef. Their standards are more stringent than any other beef and you can tell the difference from your first bite. Check their Store Locator to find the nearest market near you.
- And Number 4 is having a terrific marinade recipe! That’s what I’ve provided for you today. The Asian flavors from soy, ginger and garlic are perfect with beef.
I have a binder for beef recipes that includes at least 10 flank steak marinades, and I just happened to have all these ingredients on hand. It made for a quick, delicious meal, although the charcoal grill (never the griller…haha) cooked the beef beyond his preferred almost mooing rare stage to a nicer pink medium rare, my preference. One of us doesn’t think he needs a meat thermometer. No matter how you like your beef cooked, this Marinated Grilled Ginger Flank Steak is a winner!
More Fabulous Ways to Use Flank Steak:
- Chili Rubbed Flank Steak with Roasted Corn Salsa from Your Homebased Mom
- Flank Steak Roulades
- Hoisin Glazed Flank Steak from The Wanderlust Kitchen
- Flank Steak Fajitas
- Grilled Steak Tacos from Two Peas and Their Pod
- 1/2 cup soy
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons peeled minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 flank steaks, I use Certified Angus Beef brand
- Combine the first six ingredients in a gallon zip lock bag and mix well. Add flank steaks and allow to marinate at least 2 hours and up to one day.
- Grill to desired doneness. Let rest 10 minutes under foil. Cut across the grain to serve.
Tip: With a sharp knife, score the flank steak against the grain, cutting only about 1/16th of an inch into the meat at 1½-2-inch intervals to increase the surface area of the meat. This will allow the marinade to penetrate even better.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 0mg Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Protein: 0g