Fudgy Mocha Brownies
Did you know coffee intensifies the flavor of chocolate? Add from a touch of espresso powder to a tablespoon to make dreamy Fudgy Mocha Brownies.
One-Bowl Fudgy Mocha Brownies
I used my very favorite fudgy brownie recipe, which uses only one bowl, to create a made to order mocha brownie. For folks like my hubby, who don’t want to taste the coffee flavor at all, add just a teaspoon of espresso powder. It’s enough to bring out the chocolate intensity with only a hint of coffee.
If you’re a little more daring, add 2 teaspoons. And for those who want a true mocha flavor, feel free to add a full tablespoon or more! I brought a plate of these to our local CBS affiliate on National Coffee Day. No one ever says no to a brownie, especially mocha brownies!
Tips for Cutting Perfect Brownies
Here are my tips for making and cutting brownies. Give them a try with these Fudgy Mocha Brownies.
- Do not overmix if you want fudgy brownies. I don’t use a mixer, just a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to stir.
- Line your pan with non-stick foil which makes a sling so you can pull the brownies out of the pan when they’re cool. Since it’s non-stick, it peels right off.
- Chill your brownies in the refrigerator before cutting or freeze for about an hour. I like to use a hot, dry knife or a plastic disposable knife. See which works best for you. You can bring the brownies back to room temperature to serve if desired.
- If you’re going to stack your brownies, dip the bottoms into granulated sugar. This prevents them from sticking to each other. See the Fudgy Mocha Brownies above for details.
Here are a Few More Brownie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Palm Beach Mocha Brownies
- Fudgy Brownie Pie
- Refrigerator Brownies
- Fudgy Kahlua Brownies
- Ganache Topped Truffle Brownies
- Fudgy Chocolate Brownies
- More Homemade Brownies Recipes
- 1 stick butter, plus more for pan
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-3 teaspoons of instant espresso powder, depending on desired taste
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 t vanilla
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/4 t salt
- Sugar, to dip bottom of brownies, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350º. Butter an 8" square baking pan. Line the pan with non-stick foil, leaving a 1" overhang on two sides. Set aside. Place butter and chocolate in microwave-safe bowl and microwave gently until butter and chocolate are melted (30 seconds x 3, stirring in between sessions). Add espresso powder and mix to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
- Stir sugar into chocolate till combined. Whisk in eggs one at a time, then vanilla. Fold in flour and salt. Bake until a cake tester comes out of the center with just a few moist crumbs, 40-45 min. Cool completely on rack. Chill if desired for easier cutting. Lift the brownies out of pan using the foil. Cut into 2-inch squares. May dip bottoms in granulated sugar to stack.
For easy cutting, freeze for one hour first or chill in the refrigerator till cold.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g