Rich, decadent, fudgy. These Fat Witch Brownies are all that and more!
My family adores brownies, especially plain, fudgy brownies. But nuts, toffee, chocolate chips and more can be added to make this delicious Fat Witch Brownie Recipe just the way you like!
Fat Witch Brownies
The date on this original post was December, 2010. My college senior was still in high school and my food photography was marginal at best. And worst of all, I have made so many brownies since this post, I had no recollection of these Fat Witch brownies. Well, one slice into these gems revealed exactly what I’d hoped for: fudgy brownies with an amazing chocolate aroma. Whew.
Tips for Making these Famous Fat Witch Brownies
- Use bittersweet chocolate bar instead of chips for the brownie batter. The flavor is better and they melt wonderfully. I keep quite a stash of Ghirardelli bars in my pantry for just such occasions.
- I also upped the vanilla a bit from 1 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons.
- Cut these brownies into large bars and top with a scoop of ice cream for an elegant brownie sundae or slice into smaller servings for those mid-day chocolate cravings. My original post is below with a photo of my furry buddy, Lambeau. Hope you bake up a batch soon.
Bill and the kids made their annual trek up to Green Bay to watch their beloved Packers play the Dolphins this weekend. I thought a batch of brownies waiting when they arrive home in the wee hours of Monday morning…a school day for my youngest…would be a nice treat. For the Weekend Blog Showcase, I’m featuring a brownie recipe from Bake or Break, one of my favorite baking blogs.
I didn’t have the bittersweet chocolate chips called for in this Fat Witch brownie recipe so I just melted a 4 ounce bar of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate. And for my add-in, I chopped up a Heath bar, my absolute favorite candy bar. I sprinkled the chunks along one edge so that those chocolate purists in the family could have theirs plain.
These have a milder chocolate flavor than some of my family’s favorites that are too intense for me. I found these delightfully delicious.
- 14 ounces butter (1 3/4 sticks)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nuts, chocolate chips, or Heath bar chunks, optional
- Line an 9 x 9-inch pan with non-stick foil and set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl, starting and stopping at 30 second intervals to stir, till chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, beat together sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add cooled chocolate, mix in gently. Sift flour and salt into bowl and mix just to combine. Stir in any optional add-ins if desired. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or till toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with just dry crumbs. Cool before cutting.
Serving Size:1 brownie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 358Total Fat: 29gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 101mgSodium: 232mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g