Chocolate Ginger Cookies have chunks of luscious semi-sweet chocolate in every spicy bite! These over the top gingerbread cookies were divine!
This combination of ginger and chocolate brings the best of both worlds to cookie connoisseurs.
Chocolate Ginger Cookies
It was Nick’s turn to do a special project for O-Chemistry. He was assigned Mole Day, which is October 23. For those of you who haven’t heard of a mole since high school, it’s a “chemical mass unit, defined to be 6.022 x 1023 molecules, atoms, or some other unit. The mass of a mole is the gram formula mass of a substance.” Head spinning yet? We decided to go with a food theme featuring jello-moles, guaca-mole, and Mole-asses cookies. Specifically Molasses Cookies with semisweet chocolate for a well rounded Mole Day Menu.
Gingerbread Cookies for Mole Day
I’d been wanting to try Martha Stewart’s chocolate ginger cookies since she featured them on her show last year. Nick sampled one and described them as chocolaty with gingery undertones. What’s even funnier is when Bill, the picky hubby, asked if he could have one. “Certainly, ” was my response while wondering if he’d finally like one of my ginger cookies.
One bite confirmed my expectations. “What’s in these? Mint?” I had to laugh. He doesn’t like mint, either. He tossed the other half of his chocolate gingerbread cookie and high tailed it upstairs to brush his teeth, ironically, with minty toothpaste! Around the holidays, this Easy Gingerbread Recipe is perfect for gingerbread men! Unless you, too, don’t like molasses cookies!
- 4 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses (remember to spray measuring cup with Pam for easy release)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, cut into 1/4 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Beat butter and brown sugar till combined and fluffy. Add molasses and mix to combine.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix to combine. Add flour and mix until combined.
- Stir in chocolate. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or longer.
- Line sheet pans with parchment. Preheat oven to 325º. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls (approximately a rounded tablespoonful) and refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll dough balls in sugar and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
Total time does not include chilling time.
Serving Size:2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 1g
Images circa 2010