Dense and Delicious Brownies
The date on this original post was December, 2010. My college senior was still in high school and my food photography was marginal at best. And worst of all, I have made so many brownies since this post, I had no recollection of these brownies. Well, one slice into these gems revealed exactly what I’d hoped for: fudgy brownies with an amazing chocolate aroma. Whew.
A Few Minor Updates
I used a bittersweet chocolate bar instead of chips for the brownie batter. The flavor is better and they melt wonderfully. I keep quite a stash of Ghirardelli bars in my pantry for just such occasions. I also upped the vanilla a bit. Cut these brownies into large bars and top with a scoop of ice cream for an elegant brownie sundae or slice into smaller servings for those mid-day chocolate cravings. My original post is below with a photo of my furry buddy, Lambeau. Hope you bake up a batch soon.
Bill and the kids made their annual trek up to Green Bay to watch their beloved Packers play the Dolphins this weekend. I thought a batch of brownies waiting when they arrive home in the wee hours of Monday morning…a school day for my youngest…would be a nice treat. For the Weekend Blog Showcase, I’m featuring a brownie recipe from Bake or Break, one of my favorite baking blogs.
I didn’t have the bittersweet chocolate chips called for in the recipe so I just melted a 4 ounce Ghirardelli bar. And for my add-in, I chopped up a Heath bar..my absolute favorite candy bar. I sprinkled the chunks along one edge so that those chocolate purists in the family could have theirs plain.
These have a milder chocolate flavor than some of my family’s favorites that are too intense for me. I found these delightfully good.
Fat Witch Brownies
Decadent, fudgy brownies adapted from Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies and Bars
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 9-16 brownies
- Category: Dessert, Brownies
- 14 ounces butter (1 3/4 sticks)
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup nuts, chocolate chips, or Heath bar chunks, optional
- Melt butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl, starting and stopping at 30 second intervals to stir, till chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In another bowl, beat together sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add cooled chocolate, mix in gently. Sift flour into bowl and mix just to combine. Stir in any optional add-ins if desired. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or till toothpick inserted into the center of the brownies comes out with just dry crumbs. Cool before cutting.