This Chicken with Artichokes over Israeli Couscous is an easy weeknight meal that can be on the table in a little more than 30 minutes!
Chicken with Artichokes over Israeli Couscous
I spotted this recipe for Chicken with Artichokes over Israeli Couscous in one of the earliest issues of the now-defunct Everyday Food magazine. Totally enamored by the look of the Israeli couscous, I scoured the city for some to no avail. Back then, I resorted to a mail-order source but now can find it easily in some of the higher-end grocery stores.
What is Israeli Couscous?
Israeli couscous is actually little pearls of pasta, and I find it closer to the texture of orzo than standard couscous. Like traditional couscous, it’s made of semolina flour. Known as Ptitim in the Middle East, it was developed as a replacement for rice when the latter was scarce.
It is truly worth the hunt to have a stash in your pantry. And this quick recipe is one of my favorite ways to showcase this delicious pasta. Even if you’re not a fan of classic couscous, give this pearl couscous a try!
How to Make This Easy Chicken Recipe
This artichoke chicken pasta is a snap to pull together. It is made with a slew of kitchen staples: frozen chicken breasts, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, chicken broth and, of course, the couscous. I make certain to add scallions to my grocery list and I’m set.
First, I seasoned then chicken, dusted with flour, then browned it in olive oil. Next, the garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and scallions were added after the chicken was removed, then some chicken broth was whisked in for a quick sauce. While the chicken was working on its tan, I boiled the couscous in chicken broth. Dinner was ready in about 30 minutes. This chicken with artichokes over Israeli couscous was perfect for a busy weekday but lovely enough for company.
You might also enjoy this Chicken with Broccoli Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Pasta and more of my Chicken Recipes.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can artichoke hearts packed in water, drained and halved
- A bunch of scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Flatten the chicken with a meat mallet till about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper and coat with flour, shaking off any excess. Saute till lightly browned on each side and cooked through. Remove.
- Add the remaining olive oil. Add garlic and sauté then add white parts of scallions, Add the one cup of chicken broth. Stir and cook, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan Add artichokes and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook till the artichokes and tomatoes are heated through. slightly. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- To make couscous, bring the 2 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add couscous. Boil till couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Serve the chicken over couscous, and spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with the remaining scallions.
Yield: 6 servings
Total time: 30-45 minutes
Adapted from Everyday Food
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 104mgSodium: 741mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 3gSugar: 1gProtein: 42g
Linked to Friday Blog Hop~