Braided Easter Bread Recipe
A braided Easter egg bread formed into a wreath. Dough recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf or 16 servings
- Category: Bread, Holiday
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) instant yeast (I use Red Star Platinum yeast)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed (plus extra to grease your bowl)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- Sanding sugar, optional
- In a large bowl or bowl of your mixer, mix sugar, yeast, salt and 2 cups of the flour.
- In the microwave, heat milk and butter to about 120 degrees (if it gets too hot, just let cool before adding). Add to dry ingredients and mix until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Add 3 eggs and vanilla then beat on high 2 minutes.
- Switch whisk for the dough hook. Mix in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Knead with the dough hook about 4-5 minutes or knead by hand up to 8 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds (I weighed my pieces on a kitchen scale to divide evenly). Roll each portion into a 24-inch long rope. Place ropes on a parchment lined baking sheet and braid. Bring ends together to form a ring. Pinch ends together to seal.
- Cover with a light kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a bowl, whisk remaining egg and water and carefully brush over dough. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. (If you’d like, at the halfway point, brush with more glaze to get any areas that have risen up from the heat).