Swiss butter Braid AKA Butterzopf is a slightly sweet, plaited, special occasion bread, perfect for the holidays, entertaining or when you want to treat yourself to some yeasty deliciousness. Crank up your oven a bake a loaf of this magnificent braided bread.
A Swiss Butter Braid for the Holidays
I have a “thing” for braided bread recipes. They just seem festive. My mom would braid dyed hard boiled eggs into our Easter bread and drizzle it with icing, and I contemplated forming this loaf into a wreath as she did till it came up short in length. This butter braid or butterzopf is more of an everyday bread to the Swiss, but I think it looks pretty fancy. A good dose of sugar provides a lovely sweetness, and two eggs plus one yolk adds richness along with a lovely golden color. I think it would be perfect with any holiday meal this month. And imagine leftovers(IF there are any) as French toast. Swooning at the thought This butter braid was a huge hit with my crew.
Twelve Loaves Holiday Breads:
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess and run with the help of Heather of girlichef, which runs smoothly with the help of our bakers.
Our host this month is ME from That Skinny Chick Can Bake, and our theme is Holiday Breads. For more bread recipes, visit the #TwelveLoaves Pinterest board, or check out last month’s mouthwatering selection of #TwelveLoaves Pumpkin Breads!
- Apricot Ginger Panettone from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Bacon Fat Spice Loaf from girlichef
- Fruitcake Quick Bread from Rhubarb and Honey
- Gingerbread from Nik Snacks
- Holiday Fruit and Cheese Bread from Basic N Delicious
- Joululimppu (Finnish Christmas Bread) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Kardemummakrans from Ma che ti sei MANGIATO
- Raisin and Nut Wreath Bread from A Baker’s House
- Stollen from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Stollen Wreath from Cake Duchess
- Swiss Butter Braid from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Whole Wheat Cranberry and Walnut Bread from NinjaBaker
How to Make a Swiss Butter Braid
Kitchen tools used to make this braided bread recipe:
Swiss Butter Braid
A sweet, buttery loaf braided for the holidays. Adapted from Nick Malgieri.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Category: Breads
- Cuisine: Swiss
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons or one envelope instant yeast (Red Star Platinum yeast preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, for glaze
- In stand mixer bowl with paddle attachment, combine milk, sugar and melted butter. Mix in eggs, then yeast. Slowly add in salt, then flour with mixer on low. Let continue to mix for 2 more minutes to knead (unless your mixer starts to overheat). Alternatively, knead by hand on lightly floured surface. Dough will be soft.
- Let rise in a greased bowl covered with greased plastic wrap at a warm room temperature for 1-1 1/2 hours or till doubled in bulk.
- Deflate dough and divide into 3 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 15-inch rope. Braid starting at the middle and working to one end, then repeating on the other side. Carefully transfer to parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise till doubled, about 1-11/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Whisk remaining egg and brush over the surface of the braid. Bake for 30 minutes, covering with foil for last 5-10 minutes if loaf is browning too fast.
- Cool on wire rack.
Total time does not include proofing time.