I started making these Black Bottom Brownie Bites in high school and they still haven’t lost their appeal! This bite-sized version is terrific! A perfect antidote for your chocolate cravings.
These Chocolate Mini Cupcakes are the perfect size for snacking or when you just need a little something sweet!
Black Bottom Brownie Bites
My knitting group decided to have a holiday luncheon. (No, I don’t knit. I stink at knitting, in case you were wondering. They humor me because I bring treats!). I was in Virginia when plans were made, but guess what? They assigned me dessert. I planned to bring some English toffee and caramels I had whipped up earlier in the week but needed a chocolate treat. I am never disappointed by Fine Cooking’s dessert recipes and these mini brownies reminded me of cupcakes I used to make decades ago. In bite-sized form, these Black Bottom Brownie Bites were perfect for a sweet nibble after a pitch-in lunch.
Chocolate Mini Cupcakes
I made a half batch, using 1/2 tablespoon of egg yolk for half the egg. The knitters loved them, and I only brought a few home. Both Bill and Nick gave their approval. Nick typically does not favor desserts with cream cheese, so either he was delighted to eat something other than dorm food or these are just plain terrific. You make the call.
More Mini Desserts
- Mini Pavlovas
- Raspberry Topped Mini Cheesecakes
- Mini Margarita Cheesecakes
- Pecan Tassies
- Caramel Topped Mini Cheesecakes
- Chocolate Souffles
- Individual Berry Crisps
- More of the Best Dessert Recipes
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, plus more for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line mini-muffin tins with paper liners (will make approximately 5 dozen). Set aside.
- Melt butter and chocolate in microwave-safe bowl, stopping and stirring at 30-second increments, till melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and salt till foamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar while continuing to beat till thick and a pale lemon color, about 3 minutes. Fold in the chocolate and vanilla.till just incorporated. Fold in flour till just incorporated. Put batter in a gallon zip-lock bag, remove air and seal. Set aside to make topping.
- With a wooden spoon, mix cream cheese and sugar till smooth and creamy. Mix in the egg yolk, then chocolate chips. Put filling into a quart sized zip-lock bag, remove air and seal.
- Snip off a 1/2 inch corner of each bag. Pipe brownie batter into muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Follow by piping approximately 1 teaspoon of topping onto center of each brownie. Sprinkle with a few mini-chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or till toothpick inserted into brownie comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing bites to cooling rack to finish cooling.
- If reusing muffin tins, make sure they are cool before filling with batter.
Serving Size:2 cupcakes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 172Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 62mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g